Ultimate Subaru Message Board

after a bit of searching, i couldn't find any recommendations for ski racks. i have been skiing for several years, but i just bought my own pair of skis last winter. i didn't have a problem until i bought my new car (they fit in the back of my old camry wagon just fine), but the OBS is a bit smaller and with luggage and stuff, it might be easier to throw them on the roof (especially since i'd have my girlfriend's skis up there too).

so after reading through stuff, i came to a couple conclusions. first, yakima and thule are the only 2 brands worth considering. second, the factory rails suck. third, the fairing helps reduce wind noise but doesn't do much for mileage (not really a concern of mine though).

so here's my question... i don't have a ton of money. is it safe (or is it possible) to put a ski rack on the factory rails and cross bars? i have the standard factory cross bars on my car, not the longer round or square ones (i guess these would be the elliptical ones?). i know getting the ones that attach to the gutter are stronger, but would 2 pairs of skis cause problems (even in the long run)? second, how much would i be looking to spend on a ski rack (the whole package... cross bars, ski rack, fairing)? and lastly, what do you skiers recommend and would i be better off talking to someone at an independent ski shop or a chain like ski market or wongleflute's or sports authority?

I always put my skis in the back for several reasons. First is gas mileage...racks just kill you on mileage. Second I like my skis...road salt, dirt, grime, and sunshine all play havoc with bindings, bases, etc. Of course you can put your skis in a bag or rocket box but then your back at the mileage. I guess a rocket box would be best but they are pricey. If you're really cheap like me I have built a platform out of plywood that rests on the wheel pillars. My skis and stuff go underneath and I can sleep on top.

I always put my skis in the back for several reasons. First is gas mileage...racks just kill you on mileage. Second I like my skis...road salt, dirt, grime, and sunshine all play havoc with bindings, bases, etc. Of course you can put your skis in a bag or rocket box but then your back at the mileage. I guess a rocket box would be best but they are pricey. If you're really cheap like me I have built a platform out of plywood that rests on the wheel pillars. My skis and stuff go underneath and I can sleep on top.

your car is a bit bigger than mine. i'm not sure my skis will fit in the back, along with everything else. my girlfriend's skis might fit back there, and mine might fit diagonally, but i prefer not to pile bags and stuff on top of my skis. how badly does a ski rack kill mileage? i'm averaging 24 mpg, but i do mostly city driving to and from work (ok, to and from work is all city driving). i do much better on the highway. if i still had my camry, i'd have no problem, but the OBS is much smaller in the back.

You can just buy ski holders (I prefer Thule) and some adapter clamps to attach to the stock rails. Stock rails are fine for a few pairs of skis or a bike or whatever.

fm16rq.jpg

A whole setup, with bars, feet, fit kit, rack, fairing, etc, is pretty pricey. Bars, feet, and the fit kit were about $250, plus $60 for the fairing, $120 for the 6-pr ski holders and $120 for the V2 bike rack. Locks aren't cheap either.

I don't notice an increase in wind noise or a decrease in mileage unless I have the ski holders on, so I take them off when I'm not going to be skiing for awhile.

Bonus picture of my sexy rack in action:

newlegacy.jpg

You can just buy ski holders (I prefer Thule) and some adapter clamps to attach to the stock rails. Stock rails are fine for a few pairs of skis or a bike or whatever.

A whole setup, with bars, feet, fit kit, rack, fairing, etc, is pretty pricey. Bars, feet, and the fit kit were about $250, plus $60 for the fairing, $120 for the 6-pr ski holders and $120 for the V2 bike rack. Locks aren't cheap either.

I don't notice an increase in wind noise or a decrease in mileage unless I have the ski holders on, so I take them off when I'm not going to be skiing for awhile.

Bonus picture of my sexy rack in action:

thanks for the pics... that helps. so the stock cross bars and rails will be fine with 2 pairs of skis?

how much difference do you see in mileage with the ski holders on?

also, does the fairing require the thule bars and everything or can i use it with what i already have?

Just get a Thule pod. You can get one for about $250 that will hold at least 8 pr skis. Get the silver one because it is so easy to mount. Only loose pieces of hardware are the 4 square (U) bolts. Takes about 4 minutes to mount to the factory rack of my '00 OBW. Drove about 4000 miles last year to ski races with no fewer than 6 pr skis in it. I think one time we had 10 pr including short twin tips. No problems with the factory rack taking the weight. The pod costs me about 1.5 MPG from 28+ to about 26.5 MPG.

The cheapest solution for you is to get a Barrecrafters AB-4 (4-pair) or the AB-6 (6-pair) rack. It will attach right to your existing crossbars and it includes locks, all for right around $100 for the AB-6 (cheaper for the AB-4).

Gas mileage will NOT be significantly effected. I have a full Thule rack (with the AB-6) on my wagon, and when it wasn't on it I was only getting like .4mpg better. Don't worry about it :) As far as the fairing goes, yes, it requires the Thule bars. If you want to go this route, do this:

Purchase Thule Ride-On adaptor kit (about $40)

532.jpg

Purchase wind fairing (about $55)

870.jpg

The Barrecrafters rack will attach directly to the Thule Ride-On adaptor kit (30" bars are supplied). If you like, you can substitute the 30" bars by getting the 50' bars. This allows you to put a bike, ski rack, and fairing on at the same time. The fairing may not work with the 30" bars now that I think of it (but it should...I'll do some measurements and get back to you), so ask the Thule rack salespeople that question if you go before I give you an answer:)

Kevin

Here's my .02cents, growing up skiing and currently skiing all the time. I have several pairs of skis, some of which I'll leave locked on my rack due to laziness. Don't worry about "dirt and grime and road salt" and whatnot...it's not going to bother them for your here and there jaunts. It's never bothered mine and I use hi quality gear, not a concern, in my opinion. Secondly, i'd go with Yak over Thule due to yak have round bars, thule is rectangle which i've seen bend. In your application you won't bend them. So i'd say whatever you can find cheaper is better. Yak and thule lock very well, it'd be very hard for someone to steal them. Yak and thule are super sexy rack, hence the loot you need to spend for them. I've had several yakrac's and have had not one gripe about them. I have a rear tire rack for my jeep that was bearcrafter and it sucked. Perhaps BC has come along in quality since then...no offense to anyone...just my .02 remember. My rack is currently set up for two bikes and has a gear basket in the middle as i'm still in AZ for two more months...I've had probably about 80lbs or so on the roof with ZERO issues. I have the low rider towers that attach to the factory rack. Very heavy duty set up. no worries when motoring at 80 on a trip. complete piece of mind. if you have more questions, post them. Here are two pics of my beater with the rac...hope this helps. I snapped these for another forum the other day. ASking similar questions...other forums address http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1894&pagenumber=2

post-11309-136027604007_thumb.jpg