Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny One day Job?

Can I get the old tranny out of my gl-10 wagon and put a new one on in less than 1 day? or is it a pita?

Next Q. I have a 87 Gl-10 turbo wagon is the trannie gonna be the same as a 85 gl-10 sedan?

Bobby_bouchet? asked this question and I'm asking again since he didn't get an answer? time is running short on my move to denver and I need to get a car running.

Zach

If you have a good floor jack and the tools it should be a one day job. I did a clutch in about 5 hours having never worked on a Sub before but I do have good air tools in my garage. An extra pair of hands would have helped. Don't disassemble the drive shaft ( assuming you have 4X4). Just drop the center bearing and pull back and lay aside. Should have new split pins for the front shafts and replacement gaskets for the exhaust system and some new bolts for it. If possible get to carwash and wash of as much oil and dirt as you can. The upside of leaky Subs is the bolts usually aren't rusted in.

It's possible to do it one day. Besure not to break or strip any bolts. Rust will slow you down; hopefully you have minimal rust to deal with. I'd definatly have someone on hand for the actual removal and installation parts where you need to drop and lift them. Even if you are big enough to do it yourself; saftey first :)

monstaru; you don't need a hoist to do a tranny swap. Leave the engine in and just do the transmission. Most I've needed to drop a tranny was a bit of rope or chain; and that wasn't completly necessary.

nope... gotta do this caveman style.. underneath the car lifting everything in place..

Well i can Bring my jack and some jack stands up ill also bring some Power Up to break the rusty bolts free, if there is anything else you can think of that i could Bring up to make things easier let me know.

Andy

I just replaced the clutch in my Loyale with my cousin's help. I'd guess it took a total of about 10 hours spread over three days, but it could probably be done faster.

Monstaru's right about the hard part being aligning it when it goes back in. Having a real tranny jack would be a huge help. You might be able to get one from the AutoZone in Burien. They rent out some tools for just a deposit, with a full refund when you return the tool. I'm not sure if they have tranny jacks available though.

Are you replacing the clutch too? If so, you'll need an alignment tool. I have one from doing my clutch, and I just left a message with my cousin to make sure she still has it and didn't throw it out with the old clutch parts. If she still has it, I can loan it to you.

We did the clutch by dropping the tranny out of the way, but since we weren't swapping trannies, we didn't have to pull it out from under the car. If you drop the transmission, you'll have to lift the car pretty high to slide the old tranny out and the new one in. I don't have much advice to offer if you're planning to pull the whole engine/tranny assembly out through the engine compartment.

When are you planning to do the swap? I'm pretty busy these days, but I might be able to help you for a few hours.

hehe... you guys posted a lot while I was writing my one post. ;)

I have a floor jack and jack stands too, if borrowing them would help. It probably couldn't hurt to have them on hand.

I'm not too sure of my schedule on Saturday, but I'll see if I can free up a few hours to lend a hand.

nope... gotta do this caveman style.. underneath the car lifting everything in place..

I lift it up onto my floor jack that has the big cup; not my other floor jack with the tiny cup. Then I jack it up. This is where a friend comes in handy; leaning in from the front up top. They can hold onto the starter hole and steady it and lift it as you lift from below up ont the engine/engine crossmember. Also helps if that person can push forward on the engine. Lines up the dowels with the holes on the tranny easier. Without the weight of the tranny on the engine it wants to lean forward on the rubber engine mounts.