Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 sensor removal

I'm a little embarrassed to post this, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the old O2 sensor out so I can change it. The car is a 92 Loyale with a N/A EA82 and three speed auto. The problem is the heat shield for the cat is blocking the base of the sensor. You know, the area with the bolt like pattern. Short of cutting the heat shield off (the mounting bolts have long since rusted into the cover itself) does anyone have any ideas? I would really like to keep the heat shield because the passenger side cv joint is right above it.

some penetrating oil (PB blaster or liquid wrench - use nothing else) will help the O2 sensor come out. can you get a good wrench on it? i think i usually do mine in the car with a 22 or 24mm wrench, whatever it is.

autozone has tool loaner program - use the tool and bring it back. no cost.

I rented an O2 tool set from Autozone to get mine out (91 Loyale). Don't remember the cost, but you get it all back when you return the tool. Drop the exhaust from the engine first (4 bolts), and pull it down so you can get to the sensor. It's very easy to strip the threads so using liquid wrench and jiggling it back forth a lot is a good idea. So is a lot of patience during the removal.

I just changed mine two days ago. I had the same problem and was in a hurry, so I just broke the old sensor away from the threaded part, then used a 22mm socket to get the threaded part out. To install the new one I used a pair of vice grips to screw it in, being careful that I was actually gripping the nut end of the threads and not the sensor body itself.