Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Leaking into Passengers Seat

Hi there,

I got my car serviced last week, and then went for quite a long drive over the weekend. Half way through my trip I noticed that green coolant had ended up on the floor on the passengers side.

Has anyone had this before?

Also, does anyone have any ideas how I could go about fixing this??

I have a 1989 GL Subaru Station wagon :)

Cheers

thanks for that...much appreciated :0)

I also found some more info at http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/USRM2/subrepair.htm

I didn't even know the heater core existed. Looks like a bigger enough job...but will get a new heater core and give it ago :0)

This may sound dumb...but is the heater core on the passengers side (keeping in mind my car is Australian - right hand drive).

I won't get a change for two more weekends to replace the heater core, so in the mean time, it has been suggested to me that I bypass sending the water/coolant into the dash of the car by disconnecting the hose that send the coolant to the inside.

Has anyone done this before?? I have a piece of pipe and a few clips to join the hoses. Luckily spring is starting to set in down here so I should not need the heater for a bit (even though its handy).

REally appreciated the sharing of knowledge

Thanks

:)

Heater core is right in the center of the dash, behind the radio.

Don't need tubing to bypass the heater, just pull one hose off engine and the other off of the core tube, then loop it over to where other hose was on the engine.

edit-- That link repair won't work for you, or atleast I don't think it will, as it's for the EA-81 models and yours is an EA-82.---end edit--

The heater core is on the left in the Aus model. If you take your spare tyre out of the hood you will see the hoses going into it. If i was you i'd put a heavy duty coat in the car and bypass the heater permanately... i've not done it and i would rather die of hypothermia then change the heater unit.

I have a gregory's here i could mail to you for a lend to do the job... purely out of sympathy. Its right under the dash, looms here, hoses there... sorry to sound pessimistic, the job can be done.

Hey SubaruFrog. Just thought I'd post because I like your name! :D In computer games I call myself Silent Frog, and... well... Just thought I'd post to say what a great name! :drunk:

I'm gonna have to check out my dad's EA82 wagon and see for myself where the heater core is, I thought it was just like the EA81's (in the centre.)

I don't think I could go through winter without a heater. But i guess if you had to pay someone to do the job it may be cheaper to burn the money for heat! :lol:

I had to clean out the heater ducts on an 85 EA82 twagon several months ago. As part of this job I also cleaned out the heater core box.

On the EA82s, it is right in the middle.

About the easiest way to get to it is to take out the dash completely :banghead:

It can be done, and put back together correctly, just plan on taking a few days to do it.

good luck

Heater core is right in the center of the dash, behind the radio.

Don't need tubing to bypass the heater, just pull one hose off engine and the other off of the core tube, then loop it over to where other hose was on the engine.

edit-- That link repair won't work for you, or atleast I don't think it will, as it's for the EA-81 models and yours is an EA-82.---end edit--

that works on everything =]

my leake on the floor ended up being the valve. it was leaking, so i bypassed it, and ran the hoses direclty to the heater core. but then you dont have heat controlls, just the fan on or off.

before you go yanking the heater core (a pain in the @$$), check the pipes that go to the core. I had an '83 that leaked coolant all over the left side floor and I pulled out the heater core. I took it to the radiator repair shop to have it tested an it was A-OK fine. That had me stumped - but it ended up the pipes that go TO the core - that was what was leaking. It ended up being a $100 part new too!!!! But, it would have been a WAAAY easier job had I realized it was that part before I tore the whole dash apart.......