Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4speed 3.9ratio??

I bought a DL wagon running wreck the other day. The guy said it had a replacement gearbox that was different to the diff and there for 4x4 will damage the gearbox. Its still a 4speed box though. So my question is, did they make a 3.9ratio gearbox? If so, how do I find out. The car came with the old box and diff so theres plenty of parts for my brat. Also i'm waiting to find out if I can pick up another wreck from him (another DL wagon, writeoff cos the rust in the pillars) But that one has the be

t feeling gearbox I have ever felt in a subie, and I want it in my brat!

there are only two ratios I know of being made for EA81/82 cars - 3.7:1 and 3.9:1 - I am 99% sure that all EA81's are 3.9:1, and I think all non-turbo EA82's are 3.9:1 - so a 4-speed 4WD into an EA81 car should not be a problem, nor should a DL's 5-speed 4WD, as all DL's (in the US) were NA - however I have not messed with non-US Soobs

as for 4WD damage - you will probably be fine as long as you first try the 4WD on a slick surface

the diff ratios are also written on the back of the diff, and the diffs are interchangeable, so take the whole shabang out of the DL and put it in the brat - not sure about speedo accuracy afterwards tho

BTW - CHANGE THE GEAR OIL!!! API GL-5 75W-90 is OEM spec - there are a zillion threads on zillions of other combinations/preferences as to brands, viscosities, etc. - I stick with OEM and it works fine for me

there are only two ratios I know of being made for EA81/82 cars - 3.7:1 and 3.9:1 - I am 99% sure that all EA81's are 3.9:1, and I think all non-turbo EA82's are 3.9:1 - so a 4-speed 4WD into an EA81 car should not be a problem, nor should a DL's 5-speed 4WD, as all DL's (in the US) were NA - however I have not messed with non-US Soobs

ummm. My brat/brumby has a 3.7:1, and it, and the gearbox, are original to the ute. I thought most EA81's were 3.7's. Anyone who can clarify that?

edit: BTW, the DL wagon has a 3.7 diff in it at the moment. But the original one it had in it has no sticker, so I'm not sure what it is. I turned it and it seens like a 3.7 but its hard to tell the difference from 3.9 to 3.7. and its been sitting in the sun and is very hot to touch. so, hard to tell...

I tried it in 4WD mode (low and high) seems fine, but I don't know if the rear wheels are getting power as I am only doing this in my driveway (no rego on the car.) But the gearbox in it pops out of gear when its under any strain other then just slowly backing out of the driveway... So I guess it has the same gearbox as my brat/brumby, and uses a 3.7ratio diff. Still the question remains, did they make a 3.9ratio 4 speed gearbox? And if so what did it go in?

Both gearboxes, (3.7 & 3.9), were available in Australia for the ea-81's, your Brumby should be 3.7, as this was standard for an 89 Brumby. On the car you bought, since the guy told you the gearbox had been changed to a different type from the diff, assume they are a miss matched set and yes, damage will result from driving the car this way. If it's a 3.9 g'box, it needs a 3.9 diff, and if a 3.7, ditto.

I tried it in 4WD mode (low and high) seems fine, but I don't know if the rear wheels are getting power as I am only doing this in my driveway (no rego on the car.) But the gearbox in it pops out of gear when its under any strain other then just slowly backing out of the driveway... So I guess it has the same gearbox as my brat/brumby, and uses a 3.7ratio diff. Still the question remains, did they make a 3.9ratio 4 speed gearbox? And if so what did it go in?

I've got a 3.9 dual-range 4-speed in my GL hatch. It came from the factory that way...

- Freed

The difference in opinions is simple. The US standard trans for the EA81 is a 4 sp D/R with a 3.90 ratio. This varies from the rest of the world.Some parts of the world got 3.70 standard others got the 3.90 standard. Some had both available.

So the most accurate info would be found from a local dealer or club.

Oh kay..... You learn something every day huh? (yesterday I learnt to buy cars with under 150k on the meter...)

I tried the 4WD and it works fine. Also the diff is a 3.7 so the diff and gearbox are the same as my brat. How every, I was thinking what the old diff and gearbox might be now.. the Diff is missing the sticker, so how to I tell what ratio the old diff and gearbox is?

Thanks for your help so far! :)