Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25D Bad Rod bearing enough for piston to hit valves?

So, the motor in my wonderful 96 Leg GT decided it wanted to self destruct. I drove some 350 miles wednesday night in the pooring rain we got in the northeast. Stopped a mile away from home, filled it with gas, drove it home and parked it. Came out the next morning to start it, and it made a horrible noise like I had spun a bearing in the bottom end and shut it off immediately. Check the oil to find it about 2 quarts low (so it still had 2 quarts in the pan) Funny thing is that the oil had been checked 500 miles before the trip and it was full. Anyhow, Put oil in it and started it up. Engine was quieter, but was also stuttering like it had a misfire. I picked up another motor, but talking to the guy I got it from, he thought that a bad Rod Bearing would allow the piston to move far enough that it could hit and bend a valve. Anyone know if that is true?

Thanks,

Keith

I really don't think the clearance is that tight. If the rod bearing was loose enought to cause a piston to valve collision, the noise would have been deafening and if it did hit the valve, it probably wouldn't do any damage because the rod would not be solidly attached to the crank, so there would be no force behind the blow.