Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Back after long hiatus, just got an 84 GL D/R Wagon, need a little advice please

After going a couple of years without an older Ru, I'm back with an 84 GL D/R Wagon. Purchased it from a friend who builds Porsche race cars in San Dimas, (he had it since 86), took me a year to convince him to let it go, (with the help of his wife). Real good shape, no rust, CA car, needs the usual cosmetic stuff but not bad. 275k on original engine, rebuilt carb about 2 yrs ago, mostly sitting since then. Engine still has great compression, runs very quiet, feels amazingly strong considering mileage. I'm excited! This will be my desert camping/ratpatrol car, as was the 86 Coupe, which I miss badly.

OK, it's been a looooooong time since I had my 83 GL, and I don't remember too much about the ea81 quirks. Here's the advice I am looking for:

1. The car has been mostly sitting for a year and a half. I will immediately change out fluids. What else should I immediately do? Fuel filter? Carb cleaner? What fluids do you recommend for ea81's these days? (I do like to use the Marvelous Mystery Oil as additive for tank, tranny and block.)

2. SMOG: I will register the car in a few days, need to pass CA smog. The car passed last time no problems, but still I worry about it. Any pre-smog advice?

3. Preventive stuff and things to check on: I don't see any real leaks or obvious problems, but will give it a once-over to check wheel bearings, hoses, vacuum lines, brakes, etc. Any advice for particular problems to look for and check? What should the oil pressure read at idle and at cruise?

4. Anything else?

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get started on the new desertrunner.

Check all the CV/DOJ boots for age cracks, U don't want one riping while out in the desert. And check the CCV lines on the valve covers for flex/age cracks. It's simple but often over looked, if the Batt. is holding a charge and your'e gona use it check the watter level in it.

Check all the CV/DOJ boots for age cracks, U don't want one riping while out in the desert. And check the CCV lines on the valve covers for flex/age cracks. It's simple but often over looked, if the Batt. is holding a charge and your'e gona use it check the watter level in it.

Thanks, will def check the CV boots, I lost one on a cross country trip a couple of years back, had to go find a split-boot repair kit in TX. Will also check the CCV to the valve covers. Battery is toast, getting new one this weekend.

Anything else?

Hey man!

Good to see you back!

Only sitting for a year and a half? give a wipedown, a tune up and run the piss out of it for a while. Should be good to go.

Calebz! Glad to see you are still here. I remember you helping me out by phone when I blew the boot in the 86 GL on the cross-country trip.

Tune up: Any recommendation on the best plug gaps to run? Should I leave the timing at factory spec? I need to get the ea81 manual, most of what I have is ea82 stuff.

I have an excel hot coil left over from the 86. That should work on this one too right?

Thanks.