Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High-beams light/headlight problem..HELP!

Hey all!

This is my first post, because I'm hoping someone can help me to do a little DIY on my '99 Outback Impreza Sport... The high-beams light on the dashboard started glowing slightly a few months back, but nothing big - I let it go (maybe stupidly?). The other day, I had the heat on, and watched as the high-beams light turned off!! I was so pleased!!! But, in the reflection on the truck ahead of me, I also watched my headlights go off, temporarily.

Since then, it's been a back-and-forth go between each thing. The heat doesn't have any problems, and I don't even know if it's directly related to the high-beams light (on the dashboard) (mind you, the high beams are never actually ON) - and the headlights...

Can anyone help me out? I know it must be electrical, but is there anything I can do from home? Or do you think it's going to be a lot of work/money and I should take it in to the dealer? HELP!!!

FYI - I'm moving from Seattle to NY in 2 months, and need the car to make it! Let me know!!

-Susan.

There may be a problem with the combination switch causing this to happen. The ground for the lighting is provided through that switch. The daylight hi beam running light relay also would need to be ON somehow in order for that to happen since it is in series with the circuit. The relay is in the right hand side kick panel.

Another way this may happen is if the left side headlight relay was making a poor power connection. The relay is in the main fuse panel under the hood. This seems the most likely to me. You may be to prove this by pulling the left headlight relay out of the socket. The way things are wired for the indicator light in the dash, a ground connection could be made through the left normal headlight and the headlight resistor. Though these items would be in series I think the resistances would be low enough to make the indicator light glow.

Well, even if this isn't a DIY project, Cougar has saved the mechanic a lot of work with his write-up. How do you test these relays and combination switch?

There may be a problem with the combination switch causing this to happen. The ground for the lighting is provided by that switch. The daylight hi beam running light relay also would need to be on somehow in order for that to happen since it is in series with the circuit. The relay is in the right hand side kick panel.

Another way this may happen is if the left side headlight relay was making a poor power connection. The relay is in the main fuse panel under the hood. This seems the most likely to me.

To test these things you could use a test probe light but a better way is a volt/ohmmeter. The meter would be better in this instance because of the light being partially on, meaning it is only getting some voltage and not the full 12 volts. You can see the real numbers using a meter.

Since relays are just electrical switches you should have the same voltage on each side of the contacts when the contact is made. If the relay contact is dirty or bad then you will have less or no voltage going to the load. Using a voltmeter to measure each side of the contacts will show you real quick what is happening. You can also measure across the contacts when the relay is closed. Since the switch is supposed to be a direct connection to each side, and have no resistance, the voltage should be zero across the contacts if it is good.

Thanks for the thumbs up Brus Brother. This problem is a little different but not too hard for a novice to work on with some guidence. You can do this Su5an. Welcome to the forum BTW.

Well, even if this isn't a DIY project, Cougar has saved the mechanic a lot of work with his write-up. How do you test these relays and combination switch?

Hey all!

This is my first post, because I'm hoping someone can help me to do a little DIY on my '99 Outback Impreza Sport... The high-beams light on the dashboard started glowing slightly a few months back, but nothing big - I let it go (maybe stupidly?). The other day, I had the heat on, and watched as the high-beams light turned off!! I was so pleased!!! But, in the reflection on the truck ahead of me, I also watched my headlights go off, temporarily.

Since then, it's been a back-and-forth go between each thing. The heat doesn't have any problems, and I don't even know if it's directly related to the high-beams light (on the dashboard) (mind you, the high beams are never actually ON) - and the headlights...

Can anyone help me out? I know it must be electrical, but is there anything I can do from home? Or do you think it's going to be a lot of work/money and I should take it in to the dealer? HELP!!!

FYI - I'm moving from Seattle to NY in 2 months, and need the car to make it! Let me know!!

-Susan.

I don't own an Impreza, but the symptom you describe (especially the dim glow of the hi beam indicator even though the hi beams are off) lead me to think there's a bad or loose headlamp circuit ground connection. Look at the

ground connections in the engine compartment. A "ground connection" has

one (or more) black wires attached to the body with a single bolt. Ground connections are typically located on the inner fenders, strut towers, and the radiator core support (the metal structure that the radiator bolts to). Ground connections must be tight and free of corrosion or you'll get weird feedback like this (warning lights glowing dimly), especially when other components are turned on/off.