Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy-Intermitantly runs very rough--help solve this mystery please!

This is a legacy sedan 2.2 w/ 125K. I'll be driving along and, all of a sudden, the car starts to run very roughly--engine noise level increases, car shudders -I feel vibration through the steering column ,car shakes and then loses power. Usually, I slow down, and have the patience to "drive through' the problem. It usually gets better after 5 minutes or so.

This has been going on for 4-5 months.

I brought it to the Subaru Dealer---they couldn't replicate it.

So far I've replaced the plugs, ignition wires, fuel filter.

At times the problem disappears for weeks and then reappears. One local mechanic suggested (back in May) that I possibly got a bad batch of gasoline.

My theory has been that when it happens, if I put in a can of fuel injector cleaner, it seems to help. Now I'm not sure. Is there possibly gunk in the tank that dislodges once in a while.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I'd like to fix this before I have to return to the Sub dealer. I know that'll cost big bucks. HELP!

This is a legacy sedan 2.2 w/ 125K. I'll be driving along and, all of a sudden, the car starts to run very roughly--engine noise level increases, car shudders -I feel vibration through the steering column ,car shakes and then loses power. Usually, I slow down, and have the patience to "drive through' the problem. It usually gets better after 5 minutes or so.

This has been going on for 4-5 months.

I brought it to the Subaru Dealer---they couldn't replicate it.

So far I've replaced the plugs, ignition wires, fuel filter.

At times the problem disappears for weeks and then reappears. One local mechanic suggested (back in May) that I possibly got a bad batch of gasoline.

My theory has been that when it happens, if I put in a can of fuel injector cleaner, it seems to help. Now I'm not sure. Is there possibly gunk in the tank that dislodges once in a while.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I'd like to fix this before I have to return to the Sub dealer. I know that'll cost big bucks. HELP!

Does the vehicle ever stall? I would suggest looking closely at the air mas meter. Good luck.

It would be good to know if any codes are generated in the ECU when this happens. It could be a good clue to the problem if there were.

I would suspect a ignition problem but it may also be a fuel pump problem. The MAF could be the problem as Color-blind suggested but I would think you would have a code error if it was.

It would be good to know if any codes are generated in the ECU when this happens. It could be a good clue to the problem if there were.

I would suspect a ignition problem but it may also be a fuel pump problem. The MAF could be the problem as Color-blind suggested but I would think you would have a code error if it was.

Air mass meters and front air fuel ratio sensors will not allways code. Yesterday I had a 2000 outback with a bad hesitation off idle and no codes. To properly diagnose them you need a factory scan tool. Watch the fuel trim on the front air fuel sensor if it staying around -25% then most likely you have a failed air fuel sensor.

Many thanks for replies No, car never stalls. The check engine light has been on chronically I've had my local mechanic check code 2X also the Subaru dealer has checked code-BUT, it's always been related to "Evap" code and I've paid them , gone on my way, CEL has always come back w/ in a few days. AND YES, I always tighten the gas cap fully.

I don't know what to do next, as when I bring it in to the shop, the problem is dormant. So, I'll have the code checked one more time--then, if necessary, I'll go to the dealer.

Many thanks for replies No, car never stalls. The check engine light has been on chronically I've had my local mechanic check code 2X also the Subaru dealer has checked code-BUT, it's always been related to "Evap" code and I've paid them , gone on my way, CEL has always come back w/ in a few days. AND YES, I always tighten the gas cap fully.

I don't know what to do next, as when I bring it in to the shop, the problem is dormant. So, I'll have the code checked one more time--then, if necessary, I'll go to the dealer.

You are correct evap codes will not cause driveability issues, yet they should still be fixed. If your mechanic doesn't understand how evap. systems work;find a new mechanic. Most evap. problems are not caused by loose gas caps. If a shop can't fix an evap. problem they shouldn't be in business. Be fair warned those who don't understand the system will toss a lot of parts at it; at your expense of course. Good luck.