Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suraru service warranty on rebuilt engine, PLEASE help, dealers especially!

Since the bearing was spun, take the crank to the machine shop and let them inspect it. Also let them blue print it, and they will recomend what size bearings to get. WHne in doubt, leht the machine shop measure. And make sure you find a speed shop, not a regular machine shop if you can.

This place is a speed shop. Oroville & Omak have a big oval track community, and Paul's builds many of the race engines. There are only 3 crank grinders within 150 miles, these guys have the best crank grinder and most experience of the 3. I watched them work, and they are VERY good. They were concerned about balancing cause the rods are so skimpy already, I doubt they have ever done a Justy before. What is blue printing I forget, detailed balancing?

There was a guy on ebay claiming he makes his engines with tighter tolerances than recommended, and the only condition is stringent breakin procedure. He says motors normally are built loose so that they can be run by joe public right away. What about making clearances tighter, and breaking in properly? His engine was bored, deck & line honed, but it's apparently gone. Any thoughts?

One other thing is Subaru told me not to service the block cause it looked good, this time I think we will tank the block and have it checked. Our head looks spankin new as long as the glass beading has not left glass behind. My backyard Justy guy does not like the glass peened head, but it's milled, valves ground, new guides, and it's cleaner than new. Paul's does it for all their race engines, I think it's fine and am going to reuse head.

What is blue printing I forget, detailed balancing?

Blue printing and balancing means that evry part is checked dimensionally to make sure they fall within spec, instead of just checking bearing journals. They also make sure all the parts are alike, and take a close look at tolernace staking to make sure everything is as close to the middle of a spec as possible.

here is a good explination

http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-balancing.shtml

Im leary of engines that are "tighter then factory spec" . The trick is to get all the parts within spec, and as close to each other as possible. a too tight engine can be prone to oil failure, depending upon where hes tightening the specs.

hope that helps

nipper

here is a good explination

http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-balancing.shtml

Im leary of engines that are "tighter then factory spec" . The trick is to get all the parts within spec, and as close to each other as possible. a too tight engine can be prone to oil failure, depending upon where hes tightening the specs.

Very cool article, of course RPM has no listings for a Justy...

OK balanced it is, and likely blueprinted. I am now leaning towards the rods as failure point myself after that article. Would like to say it's Subaru's fault as they should have recommend new rods, instead of resizing. Really though, I suppose it's MY fault for letting Subaru do it in the first place. I was afraid of this creepy little engine, I admit it. Now that the dealer rebuilt engine has spun bearing after only 5 months, I don't suppose I could do that much worse on my own.

So WHERE should I buy all these hard to find parts for complete rebuild? I think we will replace pistons, rods & all with NEW if we can find them. Seeking NEW crankshaft if I can find one. Anyone have a part number list for Justy engine? I am already on the phone this AM!

My head is likely perfect, but will remove and send back to machine shop. Will also send them block this time.

Have been waiting for perfect reason to buy a GOOD torque wrench. Any suggestions on best bang for buck between $50-$150USD in Canada or US?

Very cool article, of course RPM has no listings for a Justy...

OK balanced it is, and likely blueprinted. I am now leaning towards the rods as failure point myself after that article. Would like to say it's Subaru's fault as they should have recommend new rods, instead of resizing. Really though, I suppose it's MY fault for letting Subaru do it in the first place. I was afraid of this creepy little engine, I admit it. Now that the dealer rebuilt engine has spun bearing after only 5 months, I don't suppose I could do that much worse on my own.

So WHERE should I buy all these hard to find parts for complete rebuild? I think we will replace pistons, rods & all with NEW if we can find them. Seeking NEW crankshaft if I can find one. Anyone have a part number list for Justy engine? I am already on the phone this AM!

My head is likely perfect, but will remove and send back to machine shop. Will also send them block this time.

Have been waiting for perfect reason to buy a GOOD torque wrench. Any suggestions on best bang for buck between $50-$150USD in Canada or US?

I would go with subaru parts, and do a serch on the net. It wasnt the parts fault the engine failed, it was the Technician who assemebled it and didnt replace the connecting rods.

Also i think a short block would have been a wiser purchase .... hrmm .... let me look on the net tonight or tomrrow (im on pain meds and sometimes cant focus ...and im bored at home) and let me see what i can find. Can you email me privtaly the details on the car and the vin number.

Cranks shaft let the speed shop inspect it and see what they recomend. Very rare do you need to replace that even with a spun bearing.

nipper

I would go with subaru parts, and do a serch on the net. It wasnt the parts fault the engine failed, it was the Technician who assemebled it and didnt replace the connecting rods.

Also i think a short block would have been a wiser purchase .... hrmm .... let me look on the net tonight or tomrrow (im on pain meds and sometimes cant focus ...and im bored at home) and let me see what i can find. Can you email me privtaly the details on the car and the vin number.

Cranks shaft let the speed shop inspect it and see what they recomend. Very rare do you need to replace that even with a spun bearing.

nipper

No short blocks in North America nor crankshafts. Checking in Japan as we speak for both.

We had found 2 short blocks last spring, but we were already in the middle of rebuild. Our Canadian Subaru dealer had found none, but we later checked in the US. The short blocks and crankshafts we found last spring are now gone.

Crank was already .020" over last time, so I suspect it will be toast this time. I would prefer a new or beter condition crank this time.

I dont have VIN handy as car is still 500 miles away. It's a 90 Fun Justy, Fuel Injected 5 spd AWD.

General consensus is that it was the slightly bent & resized rod. Though there are MANY things I will do different this time. There is a guy named Ron in Oregon who rebuilds oil pumps and tests to exact OEM spec. You bet he's gonna see my oil pump!

Crankshaft source

http://www.standardcrankshaft.com/products.html

complete crank kits. Also ask them about connecting rods. Myabe give ccr a call too.

nipper

PS spoted this on the justy board as to mode of failure

http://subarujusty.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=enginetech&action=display&thread=1076447357

Sent an email to Standard for price on crankshaft, thanks. CCR doesnt do Justy engines. I found a guy in Oregon today who rebuilds oil pumps to factory spec. That and a SW guage should prevent any oil issues.

I am seeking a dreveable beater in BC while I rebuild mine, found 2 but both knock, bummer!

Dont make the motor too tight! This is the number one mistake of engine builders for racing ( I say racing, but subaru's high cruise rpm's are a similar idea). Tight wont spin up as easily as a looser engine. Keep it in spec at all cost. Also, tight means less oil inbetween parts.

Alex