Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mystro:

Well, this is on an '03 Impreza but it might be the case on the Legacy also: it was wired for fogs but I needed to add a relay and of course the switch to control the lights. You may find that these parts are overpriced (IMO) from the dealer, I bought them used from a guy at http://www.nasioc.com. I didn't have to add a fuse. Here's my writeup, it may help explain things better:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/fogs/

No guarantee that any of this applies to the Legacy model, but in my experience with our Impreza, the wiring for various features it lacked has been more or less in place already. That includes the fog lights, the rear cargo light, and the map lights, all three of which I've added with very minimal wiring effort.

Steve

mystro:

Well, this is on an '03 Impreza but it might be the case on the Legacy also: it was wired for fogs but I needed to add a relay and of course the switch to control the lights. You may find that these parts are overpriced (IMO) from the dealer, I bought them used from a guy at www.nasioc.com. I didn't have to add a fuse. Here's my writeup, it may help explain things better:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/fogs/

No guarantee that any of this applies to the Legacy model, but in my experience with our Impreza, the wiring for various features it lacked has been more or less in place already. That includes the fog lights, the rear cargo light, and the map lights, all three of which I've added with very minimal wiring effort.

Steve

Thanks Steve,I purchased a NOS complete kit of Cibie Series 95's so hopefull I will just need to add the relay and switch..the link for nasioc is either down or closed unfortunutly,so I couldn't price a factory switch yet.

Excellent writeup also.

mystro:

Note that I am not affiliated with Jamie's parts site, but I think that may be your best bet unless you're willing to spend some time searching. I was relatively lucky to get the parts I needed used, the guy had taken out his fog lights and installed a front mount intercooler. It required a lot of patience to search around. I had a goal of sub $100 fog lights (just stubborn that way) and paying more than around $25 for both the switch and relay would have blown that budget.

Jamie: Can you verify that he needs the relay also, and if the parts are interchangeable between Impreza and Legacy for the relay and switch? Or are they different? Thanks. Here's the parts I used in our Impreza:

fl_snr.jpg

Steve

Thanks Steve and Jamie,

I called the local subaru parts and what I could determine,I will need to add the relay,which BTW came with the Cibie kit.

The subaru OEM switch was quoted $19..I'll use the Cibie switch instead uless otherwise advised?

Q? I'm curious if the pre-wired is configed to work the foglights only on low beam as set with the OEM foglights..not really sure why this is nessesary except maybe a bounce-back glare issue?