Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ambitious XT6 project

that's basically what i'm saying. in comparison to pulling and installing a transmission, installing a drive shaft and rear diff is like buying a coffee. it's easy enough to figure the driveshaft and rear diff out later if he wants to go ahead and install the trans now. could do the driveshaft and rear diff last or he could lock the center diff and drive it in FWD until he figures out the ratios and locates the parts. those parts are easy to find as well.

obviously never drive with the wrong ratio, he would definitely have to figure his ratio out sometime, now or later.

It'll all be done at once. I'm going to have the parts sitting 10 feet away from the car when I get the car up on the lift. Well, all the parts that can possibly be anticipated. I'm not going to float it with fwd. Good info for when I need the car and things are going poorly though! The subaru dealer will be able to check the id codes, huh? That's grand. Thanks people. Any more talk about anything related to this would still be helpful if there is anything more to talk about!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey....

I've done a similar swap but my car is FWD and stayed that way. Some of the XT4 stuff will work, but most of it will NOT... The pedal set will and most of the interior pieces, BUT Like the clutch cabele will have to be made to work and the shift linkanges are better gotten from a 6. I did it the wrong way and tried to piece my junk togather from a few yard cars. I also kinda have the tendancy to make things work reguardless of if they should or not. aka. Ghetto Rig. Anyhoo to take care of the tranny electronics I've rigged an interior switch to make my car "shift" into drive and park. As far as I know you MUST rig it in some way, hook it up, what ever. The car will run if you use the stock position sensor and put it in the park/nuteral spot, but it will stall cuz the IAC circuit wont work correctly... also the car wont go full fuel when you romp on it. On my car the Power light still works and to get full fuel since it thinks its in drive. I've also rigged it so it kinda thinks its in nuteral too so I dont have to touch anything to start it. In hindsight, I would done it differently as my cruise no longer works... realy tough on those "short" trips out to The Dragon. Also, as far as I know the FT4wd XT6 MT5 doesnt really care to be run either with the diff lock on or in FWD mode for too long, just get your stuff and do it right.