Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please Help! I just had head gaskets timing belt rear main seal and water pump done. I thought since they had the engine out, they would have found all the problems. I had all their recomendations done. But now, it has been down one quart of oil, twice since I had the work done Sept. 1st 2005. They think it is an oil burning problems and are talking about a "short block" $2,100 just for the block not labor. And they also thought it could be the PCV valve which I pray it is of course. And the engine has been revving intermitently when idling. I don't know anything about cars. What do you think? Thanks!!!

Try the PCV valve first...very common problem on these cars. Subaru engines are usually pretty easy on rings, so I kinda doubt that it would need a shortblock, although that's possible if the HG's were leaking badly and a bunch of water was getting into the cylinders.

A compression test would tell you quite definitively if you need a shortblock.

Was this at a dealer or an independant shop?

There are some problems with oil leaks at the rear main seal and the valve covers, but the most common oil leak on these motors is from the front oil seal mounted in the front of the oil pump. If that wasn't done on your motor, or if a new seal was installed, but not installed properly, the leak could still be present. Usually if you have a leak at this location, there will be oil drops visible on the bottom of the oil pump directly behind the crank pulley on the bottom. There is usually a lot of oil blown back covering the bottom of the motor and a strong oil odor, sometimes even smoke from it hitting the exhaust and burning off.

If its burning the oil, you should see it in the emissions. You could also run a check. If its leaking, park it over a clean sheet or cardboard and let it run for 30 minutes, check for leaks and then let it sit overnight. Any external leak should spot the sheet.

If its a good shop they should stand behind their work.

And the engine has been revving intermitently when idling.

I don't know if this applies to subaru's or not, but diesel VW's tend to rev intermittently and burn oil if they have bad valve guides -- the oil leaks down into the cylinders, and being a diesel, it acts like fuel there and revs the engine. I know that subaru's leak oil into the cylinders and blow blue smoke if you tip them over, but if you are level, it shouldn't happen. And I'm thinking that in a gas engine, oil shouldn't behave as fuel so much as just foul the plugs and create smoke.

Wow, I just noticed that i've been upgraded to eat, live, breath subaru....

Thanks so much everyone who replied. This is a website is a great service. I am taking it in tomorrow to try the PCV valve. They are going to re-check for leaks and they are going to check the Air Control Valve re: the revving. I bought this car from an exceedingly sleazy used car dealer in Boulder. I bought it because I was able to track down the originial owner (one owner) and he had $5,000 worth of work done last year. So I thought I was home free. I think the poor guy was getting ripped off everytime he had his car fixed by the people he took it to. So in inherited his mess (hopefully I'm at the end of the worse of it). I do think SuperRupair is reputable, I hope anyway. They do seem to have expertise on Subarus. I don't think they ripped me off with their repairs. But I think they should have been able to see more since they had the engine out. Thanks again everyone!

Try the PCV valve first...very common problem on these cars. Subaru engines are usually pretty easy on rings, so I kinda doubt that it would need a shortblock, although that's possible if the HG's were leaking badly and a bunch of water was getting into the cylinders.

A compression test would tell you quite definitively if you need a shortblock.

Was this at a dealer or an independant shop?