Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steveman09's E-Manage Project Thread

Tonight I finally solved the RPM Reading Problems, I picked up a HKS RPM Signal Level Converter from Horsepowerfreaks.com for $45.00, this little baby converts the Standard 12V Analog RPM Signal to a 5V Digital Signal for use with the E-Manage and various other aftermarket digital piggybacks. After installing this module all the RPM problems disappeared and finally I could get accurate RPM readings across the board! I set out to make some more pulls on the highway, I did ON-RAMP 3rd Gear Pulls and Freeway 50mph punching in 4th gear, I shut it down at 6000rpm since thats all I'm tuning for at the moment.

The first few pulls were way to lean and ping was intense, I slowly but surly increased the pulsewidth on the injectors until the ping stopped then added a few more % just to be on the safe side, finally I could really feel the power, The car has never run stronger! Right after it rained and the road was still wet I put it in 4WD-HI and did some pulls and the thing was just spinning all the tires trying to grip, it was insane! I even managed to easily do a bunch of 1st powerslides without even dumping the clutch or launching it!

There is definitly a improvement so far in my tuning and I have much more to do, I haven't even begun to mess with the Timing maps yet.

I'am tuned right now at 10psi and I'm starting to see the Injectors limiting me soon, which will need to be taken care of soon.

I have the Greddy 3bar Pressure Sensor coming tomarrow, then I can really start turning up the boost and see what this baby can do!

More to come!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool .. i wonder why my injectors don't seem to be a limiting factor on my setup i think i rarely see anything over 60-70 duty cycle according to what i see on screen

i will go back over my datalogs in case i am confused

oh and congrats on the success.. amazing how just bypassing the stock ecu has such a dramatic effect huh

as i sit here waiting for timing belts

oh and provided i have not killed my motor we really need to play follow the leader or something hehe

be curious to see how my tired msnedis's motor stacks up against your e-manage

you know we have a fairly large off road park like thingy down here with side by side sand drag tracks hehe

i have yet to explore the whole area but i bet if ... actually .. go look for my other post i am about to make

STEVE!!!! You are the man!!! You are blazing a new trail with your E-Manage install. I have to applaud your "don't quit" attitude. I believe that I might have to follow in your footsteps in the near(well if you want to call 3 years near) and purchase and install an E-Manage as well. Congratulations and may GOD Bless You!!!!

Patrick

cool .. i wonder why my injectors don't seem to be a limiting factor on my setup i think i rarely see anything over 60-70 duty cycle according to what i see on screen

i will go back over my datalogs in case i am confused

oh and congrats on the success.. amazing how just bypassing the stock ecu has such a dramatic effect huh

as i sit here waiting for timing belts

oh and provided i have not killed my motor we really need to play follow the leader or something hehe

be curious to see how my tired msnedis's motor stacks up against your e-manage

you know we have a fairly large off road park like thingy down here with side by side sand drag tracks hehe

i have yet to explore the whole area but i bet if ... actually .. go look for my other post i am about to make

Well I have a strange issue, I'm assuming my injectors are reaching the limit, but when I double checked over my datalogs today it seems that I'm in the 60% Duty Cycle Range but in the emanage software I'm near 85% in my Fuel Maps from 4500rpm to 6000rpm, now I assumed 100% in the Emanage problem is the maximum but I'm not totally sure yet, I'm going to resume tuning this weekend with the new Pressure Sensor, maybe the Emanage program goes to 150%? I think I read about it somwhere in the manual.

Anywho I'll know for sure by this weekend.

I'd love to go cruisin with ya somtime and hit the back roads but I have allot more tuning to do before that, so I'll let ya know.

I can't wait to get into the Ignition map :)

Read the manual more.

What you input into the emanage isn't actual duty cycle.

It's some other type of ratio.

I've been reading it :

It says in the Additional Injection map whatever you input in % is then added to the normal total injector duty %

Example :

So I input 50% in the Injection Map and the Normal Injector Duty is 30% then Total Duty = 80%

Right now I'm at 85% in the Injection Map and Total Injector Duty is being reported as 60%!?! Not to mention it wouldn't stop knocking until I reached the 80% and Higher Value from 4500-6000rpm

I'm excited to announce the E-Manage Installation is fully complete!

I worked on it for 6-hours today finalizing my wiring, mounting, etc. I even figured out the Ignition control so now I have control over the Ignition Timing as well :) So far so good, the car is running better than ever, I've learned allot about the E-manage and I'm getting really good at tuning it, its a great system with lots of flexability and is worth every penny IMHO.

1. I have full control over the Fuel System

2. I have full control over the Ignition System (I can pull and add timing)

3. I have Idle Stabilization! (never idled so smooth ever)

4. Datalogging (Priceless)

5. Fuel Cut Elliminated!!!!! WOOHOOOOOOO!!!

6. Greddy 3bar MAP Sensor instead of MAF for Tuning Boost!!!

7. Stock MAF Controls Fuel During Cruising for Maximum Fuel Economy!

So Far I'm tuned for 10psi and it pulls all the way to 6000rpm w/no Intercooler without detonating! I can't wait to reinstall my WRX Top Mount Intercooler and push the boost higher. Now that I have the Greddy MAP Sensor to tune with, I have my Stock HOTWIRE MAF Set to control Fuel and Timing ONLY DURING CRUISING for Maximum Fuel Economy, then when I hit the gas and the turbo spools up the MAP Sensor takes over and fuels and times accoring to my 16x16 Map :) Doesn't get any better!

Here's some pictures for you guys to enjoy.

100_0986.jpg

100_0989.jpg

100_0990.jpg

100_0991.jpg

100_0992.jpg

100_0995.jpg

Next up is Dyno.

looks good dude.

However. i'm not sure why you didn't use all of the harness that came with the emanage, and mount the thing somewhere more acessible. Like the glove-box. Much easier to plug in the interaction cable that way!

I'll be venturing into E-manage land again soon.. my street car will now be a 1988 Celica Alltrac :D

looks good dude.

However. i'm not sure why you didn't use all of the harness that came with the emanage, and mount the thing somewhere more acessible. Like the glove-box. Much easier to plug in the interaction cable that way!

I'll be venturing into E-manage land again soon.. my street car will now be a 1988 Celica Alltrac :D

I didnt want the installation to be visable, I like to keep stuff steath, It's simple to hookup the laptop and tune, I ran a Regular USB Extension cable from the emanage to the passenger floor and I hide it under the floor mat until I want to tune.

Here's a video of a little sprint shifting at 5500rpm letting off at 64mph, I didnt wanna go faster with me filming and driving at the same time :)

http://www.purehardware.com/subaru/videos/31to64mph_pull.mov

Enjoy.

You said that it uses the stock ecu for idle and cruise (for fuel economy) and the emanage takes over during boost

So does this mean that the emanage could be applied to a NA ecu so that it could run a turbo???

THAT WOULD BE AWSOME:brow:

yep. i used the emanage to turbo my Justy. Worked like a charm!

You said that it uses the stock ecu for idle and cruise (for fuel economy) and the emanage takes over during boost

So does this mean that the emanage could be applied to a NA ecu so that it could run a turbo???

THAT WOULD BE AWSOME:brow:

YES IT CAN.

It also has a built in SUB INJECTOR controller allowing full control over to AUX Injectors that you can place anwhere in the intake path :)

• 2 weeks later...
Anynew developments lately?

I have a laptop on the way...so I will be posting regular MS info when I get some things going.

Funds are limited right now, the lattest will be comming in a few days, I ordered a REAL Wideband Kit for the car :) Tuning now just got much easier :)

I will keep you all posted once I figure out some grimlins that just came up, I have to fix them before the TD04, 450cc injectors, and 265lph fuel pump can go in ;)

Funds are limited right now, the lattest will be comming in a few days, I ordered a REAL Wideband Kit for the car :) Tuning now just got much easier :)

I will keep you all posted once I figure out some grimlins that just came up, I have to fix them before the TD04, 450cc injectors, and 265lph fuel pump can go in ;)

oh noes!!!! someone might beat me to it............

• 8 months later...
Tonight I finally solved the RPM Reading Problems, I picked up a HKS RPM Signal Level Converter from Horsepowerfreaks.com for $45.00, this little baby converts the Standard 12V Analog RPM Signal to a 5V Digital Signal for use with the E-Manage and various other aftermarket digital piggybacks. After installing this module all the RPM problems disappeared and finally I could get accurate RPM readings across the board! I set out to make some more pulls on the highway, I did ON-RAMP 3rd Gear Pulls and Freeway 50mph punching in 4th gear, I shut it down at 6000rpm since thats all I'm tuning for at the moment.

The first few pulls were way to lean and ping was intense, I slowly but surly increased the pulsewidth on the injectors until the ping stopped then added a few more % just to be on the safe side, finally I could really feel the power, The car has never run stronger! Right after it rained and the road was still wet I put it in 4WD-HI and did some pulls and the thing was just spinning all the tires trying to grip, it was insane! I even managed to easily do a bunch of 1st powerslides without even dumping the clutch or launching it!

There is definitly a improvement so far in my tuning and I have much more to do, I haven't even begun to mess with the Timing maps yet.

I'am tuned right now at 10psi and I'm starting to see the Injectors limiting me soon, which will need to be taken care of soon.

I have the Greddy 3bar Pressure Sensor coming tomarrow, then I can really start turning up the boost and see what this baby can do!

More to come!

Bump since this is the info I need to make the AEM read....most likely.

It may be possible that the AEM could be able to read the 12v analog signal....

whichever one is CLEANEST...will work the best ofcourse.

Bump since this is the info I need to make the AEM read....most likely.

It may be possible that the AEM could be able to read the 12v analog signal....

whichever one is CLEANEST...will work the best ofcourse.

I would rec. the HKS converter, but try this :

Run a wire from the NEGATIVE Low Voltage terminal on the Ignition Coil to the RPM Signal for the AEM, this works for the SAFC's so it might work for you.

I would rec. the HKS converter, but try this :

Run a wire from the NEGATIVE Low Voltage terminal on the Ignition Coil to the RPM Signal for the AEM, this works for the SAFC's so it might work for you.

would work for piggybacks...but since I am eliminating the coil for an EJ coil pack, i dont think that will work.

I will aquire said HKS peice incase the analog setup doesnt work.