Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am sure this has been asked/answered on here before but I'm new here.I have a 2000 Outback with a 2.5.I have always done my own oil changes on my other vehicles but it's time to do the Subaru and I'm wondering what I'm in for.I haven't had the car very long but like it alot.Any pointers on doing the oil change would be greatly apprciated.

How many miles do you have on it? I recomend synthetic if you plan on keeping the car for a while.I personally use Mobil 1...But that is my preference.And for the oil filter I like Fram or Mobil.

There are about 60,000 miles on it and yes I do plan on keeping it for a while .What about the actual changing of the oil?Are they hard to work on?Anything in the way?

I did an oil change in AutoZone's parking lot yesterday. At least on a '96 Legacy, it's the easiest oil change you'll ever do.

My drain plug is either 17mm or 19mm. The oil filter is on the bottom, easy to reach, and nowhere near the exhaust. :)

Poke your head under the bumper (no ramps required) and see.

As for pointers, just fill the oil filter with oil before you screw it on. The drain plug washer is aluminium, so use about 30ft-lbs.

The Oil Change is simple...

On the 01, remove the front shroud (as I call it) it requires a flat headed screwdriver to pry out the plastic screws, then pop out the anchors. There are 3 across the front...

The filter is easy to access, even if you have to "modify" it to get it off...

The drain plug is a 17mm, I've always found that a box ended wrench works great. Every once in awhile you'd want to replace the gasket...

I use NAPA oil and NAPA Gold Filters... The oil is good blend of Valvoline... The filters are WIX... All good stuff...

Avoid FRAM filters at all costs... No GOOD !!!

Enjoy your new car... You'll like it...