Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I have 2001 Outback with apprx. 125.000klms. and the left hand cyl.head is starting to leak externally it is more like a seep right now. A couple of years ago there was a recall completed (while it was still in waranty) the dealer at no cost to the owner had to put an additive in the cooling system to prevent head gaskets from leaking and this has also been done at certain maintenance intervals. I am thinking this was a cheap quick fix from Subaru to hopefully not have to change a lot of head gaskets at no charge to the customer. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I think it is a manufacturing problem which should be addressed by Subaru. I have spoken to the dealer and he says he will contact Subaru Canada and see what they say!!! Does anyone have some thoughts on this problem.

Hi all,

I have 2001 Outback with apprx. 125.000klms. and the left hand cyl.head is starting to leak externally it is more like a seep right now. A couple of years ago there was a recall completed (while it was still in waranty) the dealer at no cost to the owner had to put an additive in the cooling system to prevent head gaskets from leaking and this has also been done at certain maintenance intervals. I am thinking this was a cheap quick fix from Subaru to hopefully not have to change a lot of head gaskets at no charge to the customer. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I think it is a manufacturing problem which should be addressed by Subaru. I have spoken to the dealer and he says he will contact Subaru Canada and see what they say!!! Does anyone have some thoughts on this problem.

Was this just a recall done in Canada? I have not heard of any US recall due to head gaskets, nor have I heard of this special Subaru coolant, can someone please clarify this for me. Thanks.

a properly working head gasket is certainly better than an additive, i'd consider it a cheap fix.

but no matter, you have a leak. if you want info, this site if full of EJ25 (2.5 liter motors) head gasket issue topics. look through those posts and find out what phase motor you have and if yours is a susceptible to head gaskets problems. different years/phases had more problems than others. the newer head gasket is designed to compensate for the original problem so replacing the head gasket while expensive is a good option. at that mileage yo'ure close to needing new timing belt components, maybe you can work a deal with them? cut the costs and get new timing belts in the process of this head work? best to go ahead and replace them both while it's all apart. or i would anyway. that being said - depending how bad the leak is, in my experience if there' no internal leakage then it's likely the gasket will hold up for a long time, but who wants to take that chance? best to replace.

Actually it is a chaep fix that works fairly well. Subaru still recomends it with every coolant change. Like any stop leak (GM uses it one too) they work up untill a point. I would try it and see what happens. I'ld trust a stop leak from Subaru more then one off the shelf.

nipper

Was this just a recall done in Canada? I have not heard of any US recall due to head gaskets, nor have I heard of this special Subaru coolant, can someone please clarify this for me. Thanks.

Hi Roamer,

Yes the recall was done in Canada. It is not special coolant it is an additive that was put in to prevent the head gaskets from leaking.

Teuchter