Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone ever fit a double-din radio in these cars?

I tried searching, but 'double din*' doesn't exactly bring up the stuff I needed :-\

Anyways, a friend of mine would like to get a stereo with CD and cassette, so she can listen to her books on tape. She also wouldn't mind one with MP3 capabilities also.

I found a double-din stereo for $90 that she likes, but I'm not sure if it will fit.

It's a LEGACY LCDCS93MP http://bsless.com/lcdcs92.html

I measured the hole in the dash, and it will be a very very tight fit, if at all. So, I'd like some feedback as to whether or not anyone else has pulled this off.

The car is an '87 GL wagon.

thanks,

I don't know if you can fit a Double DIN stereo in one of these dashes. There kinda tight. But i do have another alternative. Crutchfield carries a regular aftermarket size headunit that plays CD's and cassettes and is reasonably cheap too. Heres the link. Hope that gives you one more option.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LwEDX2HbLV6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=morephotos&pi=1&i=140FXCD550&display=L#Tab

The loyale I just parted out had a Ford radio in it that was much bigger than the factory subaru radio. I don't know that it was as tall as the double din, but it was wider and deeper than the OEM. It had some sort of mounting panel that let it project farther out from the dash and still looked good -- I'll see if it's got any identification on it. I'm going to see if it will allow me to put a CD/MP3 player in my GL.

I don't know if you can fit a Double DIN stereo in one of these dashes. There kinda tight. But i do have another alternative. Crutchfield carries a regular aftermarket size headunit that plays CD's and cassettes and is reasonably cheap too. Heres the link. Hope that gives you one more option.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LwEDX2HbLV6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=morephotos&pi=1&i=140FXCD550&display=L#Tab

I tried searching, but 'double din*' doesn't exactly bring up the stuff I needed :-\

Anyways, a friend of mine would like to get a stereo with CD and cassette, so she can listen to her books on tape. She also wouldn't mind one with MP3 capabilities also.

I found a double-din stereo for $90 that she likes, but I'm not sure if it will fit.

It's a LEGACY LCDCS93MP http://bsless.com/lcdcs92.html

I measured the hole in the dash, and it will be a very very tight fit, if at all. So, I'd like some feedback as to whether or not anyone else has pulled this off.

The car is an '87 GL wagon.

thanks,

Depending on how good of a friend she is, and how many books on tape she has, one might be able to digitze her taped audiobooks. Of course you would have to record it real-time but then one could organize each tape into tracks and maybe put more than one book on cd.

Just a thought,

Kel

thanks for the replies guys,

I thought about digitizing the tapes... until she mentioned that she has LOTR on tape :eek:

She was also hoping to stay around $100 or less. I have found a Pyle? single din deck that looks like it should work for a little bit more money.

As to the double din decks, I believe they are 4 inches tall... and the gap for the stereo is, 4 inches tall... so it would be a squeeze.

I was already going to help her purchase it (she doesn't have much money) and may just go with the single din to make it easier.

thanks again

i spent an entire day driving from strip mall to strip mall trying to find a stereo store that would give me some beta about double din head units fitting into my 85 GL and every one of them told me that it wouldnt fit. So I went ahead and pulled the radio anyways to see if it would...it didn't. Now the stock analog radio is just as big of a joke on FM as it is on AM. I don't even know what to do with this awesome JVC double din i used to have in my LEGO before it got stolen. Its got all the bells and whistle's, CD -- Tape -- AM/FM --MP3 input jack...and now ive got no use for it. Maybe i should ebay it.

i spent an entire day driving from strip mall to strip mall trying to find a stereo store that would give me some beta about double din head units fitting into my 85 GL and every one of them told me that it wouldnt fit. So I went ahead and pulled the radio anyways to see if it would...it didn't. Now the stock analog radio is just as big of a joke on FM as it is on AM. I don't even know what to do with this awesome JVC double din i used to have in my LEGO before it got stolen. Its got all the bells and whistle's, CD -- Tape -- AM/FM --MP3 input jack...and now ive got no use for it. Maybe i should ebay it.
how much ?

I had a double-din stereo in my power wagon for about 4 years. I bought the deck at a police auction for $120.

The only problem was the usual one (the deck was too deep for the mounting hole.) I was even able to use one of the oem mounting brackets to hole the stereo in the slot. The other one didn't fir, and I don't remember why. I improvised a cover out of black plastic chunks that I glued together.

The deck was a pioneer unit that had a slot for a cd and a flip-down face for a cassette tape.