Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad Battery?

Hello there in Subaru land,

I've got a '92 Loyale EA82 with 87,000 miles on it. Bought it a couple years ago with 65,000 miles on it. No serious problems so far, just preventive maintenance.

A couple of weeks ago I went on a 600 mile or so round trip. On the way home I noticed the voltmeter was pegged out near the top. Guess the voltage regulator had given up. When I got home I checked under the hood to find the battery was boiling. It had lost a good amount of the electrolyte.

I replaced the alternator and topped off the battery. Now the system is charging fine. I also had the battery checked (still on the car) at a shop and they said it is holding a charge fine.

Here is my dilemma, now I notice my battery is making a fair amount of noise after driving the car. I guess you could say it is off-gassing? After being driven, I hear some of the cells releasing air and a little bit of the electrolyte fluid escapes out the top of some of the cells. The car starts fine and according to the shop the battery is holding a charge fine.

Think it sounds like the battery's days are numbered? If so, do most people here replace a subaru's battery with the cheapest found or go for some good cranking power?

Thanks

Are you sure the battery wasn't overfilled? If it was, the hydrogen gas, which is a normal product of battery charging, can't escape properly.

I have a WalMart Everstart sealed battery in mine. I like the no-maintenance aspect, and this particular one was taken out of another car and sat on my garage floor for 3 years before I put it in my car and started using it.

I don't think subaru's need many cold cranking amps. I usually get 900CCA or higher batteries, which I know is severe overkill for an EA82 -- a 350 would probably do fine. But I always seem to end up using these same batteries in my bus with a GM V8, and my diesel truck, so I just buy the same one for all the vehicals. They're about $65 for ones with 100 month prorated warrantees at Costco. $35 for the smaller ones.

Note: My philosophy on parts is sort of odd. I buy cheap cars (only once have I bought one for over three figures, and that was the bus), but I don't skimp on parts. Several times the tires on my cars have cost more than the car.

Are you sure the battery wasn't overfilled? If it was, the hydrogen gas, which is a normal product of battery charging, can't escape properly.

I have a WalMart Everstart sealed battery in mine. I like the no-maintenance aspect, and this particular one was taken out of another car and sat on my garage floor for 3 years before I put it in my car and started using it.

Since you replaced the alternator you may want to replace the battery also. They usually are replaced together, especially if the battery is older than 3 years old. This way there won't be a problem with the charging system for some time. The battery may last for some time longer but it has been degraded somewhat by overcharging it. You may end up with a problem when you don't expect it. Then again, it may go another couple of years. It is hard to say. If you do get a new battery and live in a area that has a cold winter then a battery that has a good CCA rating would be a good choice.