Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On my 98 Legacy, the rear wiper has stopped working. As I see here, this is quite common. I removed the arm and the nut cover. Then I loosened the 20mm outside nut so I could remove the motor from the inside. The nut came loose, I can turn it as much as I wish, it is not coming off the thread. It is frozen solid to that bolt, and holding the bolt is impossible. Do I have to drill out the whole thing. The gear box would be destroyed by this. Is there a cheaper fix for that?

Thanks from Yves

eastwestboy,

Its been a while since I removed my rear wiper motor, but I can't visualize the bolt you're referring to, that's held on by the 20 mm nut. On my 97 OBW the motor/gearbox housing end was threaded, and the 20 mm nut threaded onto that. If yours is loose, will turn, but won't come off, you'll have no other choice but to cut the 20 mm nut with a nut splitter or similar. BUT you'll have to be careful or you'll split your rear windshield glass. Another choice might be to split the nut using a small cutting wheel on a Dremel Tool. With this method, you'll have to watch heat buildup, or the glass may crack. Try using cold wet rags around the nut area to dissipate the heat. Good Luck, and be very careful!