Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bogging

So, I'm still looking around under my hood for a solution to a major engine bog under power. It's getting pretty frustrating when I go to get on the freeway and suddenly become 'that guy' who's not speeding up- but it's not because I don't want to, but because I can't! :banghead:

I have an 84 EA81, any ideas? When I had it smogged last year, I had a mechanic adjust the carb, so he could monitor with an emissions sensor while he adjusted, and I think he had to lean it out to make it pass. Also, the EGR was disconnected until recently. Plugging that back in hasn't made it any better. And this was a problem that's developed, it wasn't a problem until a few months after smogging, and has been getting worse of late...

I think it may be one of two things:

Carb problem: A sticky secondary? Or just a mixture adjustment that needs doing?

Spark problem: Timing not set right? Or vaccuum advance not kicking in?

Other things: maybe exhaust?! i do have a backfire sometimes... and clicky valves on one side... but i doubt that cause this

Has anyone seen this problem specifically? And if not, what do you guys think I should start taking apart to remedy?!

Thanks,

Sam

:confused:

You may want to pull off your egr and soak it in some seafoam or something.Also check out your pcv valve.I would definately pour seafoam down the throat of your carby and let it work itself in and then fire it up and then suck some seafoam through one of your vac tubes to your intake.I would say first try the seafoam down the carb and go from there.Also may want to check your accelerator pump.

i have recently thrown some Berryman's down the carb while running to try and clean out any sticking needles and such... gave it some techron a couple of months ago and some 92 octane on this last tank to see if cleanliness is really next to godliness... all to no avail. so, will be stopping by shuck's later and pick up some seafoam to give that a try... but i'm starting to get the feeling that a 'mechanic in a bottle' isn't gonna get me through this one, though. let this magic elixir you call seafoam prove me wrong!

thx

-s

replace both fuel filters..theres one near the tank in front of the right rear tire and theres one in the engine bay. The one near the tank is often overlooked and napa doesn't even have this one in there computers. I have to bring it in and show them it. I cant remember the part # off the top of my head. Sorry.

So I took some advice and got some gunk out of the wagon tonight:

PCV was gunky but moved (replaced)

EGR carbon-coated, but moved (cleaned)

Fuel filters looked OK (replaced both)

Seafoam into carb... lots of smoky goodness out of the tail pipe!

Seems to be runny MUCH smoother- got it up to 5K rpm up a hill with no boggin! Tomorrow will confirm that all'swell on the freeway onramp!

:headbang:

Thanks for your help!

-Sam

• 4 months later...