Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there

I have a 97 Outback with 165,000 miles on it. I had the blown headgasket problem and replaced the heads, water pump, radiator, seals, gaskets, thermostat, and plugs. I have been driving for about a year and a half and the only trouble I have had was that the check engine light came on, however no one seems to know what the problem is (the engine runs fine without missing a beat), but lately and intermittantly I hear a series of beeps (4) (it sounds like the beeping you hear when you start up the engine and the seatbelt is not clipped in), then after about a minute a single beep.

I have looked and no one I know of has ever had this problem, I am not even sure it is a problem but it is something I have never heard when driving down the road.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Very Respectfully

Grimmreaper

Hi there

I have a 97 Outback with 165,000 miles on it. I had the blown headgasket problem and replaced the heads, water pump, radiator, seals, gaskets, thermostat, and plugs. I have been driving for about a year and a half and the only trouble I have had was that the check engine light came on, however no one seems to know what the problem is (the engine runs fine without missing a beat), but lately and intermittantly I hear a series of beeps (4) (it sounds like the beeping you hear when you start up the engine and the seatbelt is not clipped in), then after about a minute a single beep.

I have looked and no one I know of has ever had this problem, I am not even sure it is a problem but it is something I have never heard when driving down the road.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Very Respectfully

Grimmreaper

What code did the check engine light give?

I do not rember what the code was, only that it was an indicator for an o2 sensor or catylytic converter. I will have to look it up later on tonight when I get home.

O2 sensor is a common one as they get older, and the engine will usually run fine still. I've heard you can increase gas mileage a bit by replacing the O2 sensor though.

If the o2 sensor is tired it WILL improve your gas milage, The O2 sensor is one of the key sensors in performance.

i'm curious about the beeping thing.. is it possible its just a fluke and the key in the ignition is doing it. i knowmy OBW does it once in a blue moon due to a worn key.

nipper