Ultimate Subaru Message Board

push button start

okay watching beyond tomorrow last night i saw the mercedes slr mclaren.

the exciting it was the way it starts flip up the panel with the h pattern on the shifter and there is a engine start buttion underneath, so i got to thinking the 4wd manual vortex had the shifter with the 4wd switching button on top, how hard would it be to wire this button up to the ignition???

my vortex is 2wd so i would have to find a shifter as well

i know it's rice but i think it would be something different and could even be considered an anti-theft device in some ways if i left the button labeled as 4wd and disconnected the start part of the ignition switch.

opinions anyone???

i found a picture of the mercedes version

SLR-0018.jpg

Does anyone know where one could lay hands on a wiring schematic for this system? the ignition system, that is. I've got a really fubar'd ignition switch in my EA81 hatch, and i've been looking into a race-car style starting panel, only with a key- a switch to turn ignition on, a push button to crank, and a key for security... the panel itself can be had via Summit or Jegs, but I hate wiring, and a schematic would make my day. Anyone?

PS: sorry for the shameless hijack, I didn't see the use in starting a new thread about the same thing.

real easy to do, just make sure your switches are properly rated, the acc and run wires carrie quite a bit of current, and can (known from experance) melt switches.

remember if you use a push button start, you will have to cut a key and keep it in your ign. so your steering wheel wont lock, not a good secuirty option.

I have a momentary contact toggle switch to start my car, i thought about what i could use that button on the shifter for, couldn't think of anything real good though, too easy to bump when your driving... i ended up doing away with the whole knob in place of an aftermarket shift knob

I installed a black aftermarket horn button to engage the starter on my '81 GL wagon when the key ignition switch started getting unreliable. The key still worked to turn the ignition on.

It worked fine.

I miss that car!

Tracy

i still intend to use the key, turn it to on position then press the start button

The horn buttons on the steering wheel still worked fine :) ...and a handsome steering wheel it was!! In addition to the cool design of the steering wheel, I had laced a black leather cover on it.

Why is it those types of steering wheel covers are no longer available? All I can find are slip-on style covers.

Tracy

what happened when you went to use the horn??? lol, not a bad idea no thief would ever think to use the horn to start a car :grin: