Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine install proceedure

Okay,...this one might be another dumb one, but here goes...

I'm trying to install a rebuilt ea82 into a loyale, manual transmission.

I took it out, so I fugured I could get it back in. The manual, and every place else I've checked seem to make it sound pretty simple... jack up the tranny a bit, angle the engine slightly as its dangling from the hoist, and they should slide right together.

No such luck. I spent an hour or so, trying to line things up. I'd get the bolts through the holes on the tranny part way, and then the whole thing would stop, as though something were blocking it. I figured the teeth weren't lining up as they went into the engine, so I'd back it away, twist the crank a bit, then go for it again. Nope. The closest it will get is about three quarters of an inch from joining up with the tranny. I tried all manner of wiggling, shaking, shoving, the engine, and it won't go. I ended up taking it back out and setting it on the ground, so I could have a go at it tomorrow.

My question... are there any tricks out there to get these things to line up? Should they really go together easily of they are properly lined up? I was almost thinking of just trying to get the studs through far enough to then start cranking them down to bring the engine and the tranny together, but that's seemed a little extreme...

belizeanbus

It's possible that the clutch plate isn't properly centered. There's a special tool that lines up the clutch. It's basically a metal rod that's identical in diameter and shape to the transmission input shaft.

While the engine is out, you stick this tool into the flywheel, put the clutch plate on the tool, bolt on the clutch pressure plate, remove the tool, and then install the engine.

I've done ea81's many times and have never had any trouble. Something must be wrong. I can't think of anything that would hang up unless you didn't use an alignment tool before tightening up the pressure plate or or the pilot bearing is wrong for the tranny shaft.

I wouldn't just crank on the bolts unless you were wiggling the tranny shaft or crankshaft while you were trying to force it in.

Thanks for the quick responses... I did use the alignment tool, so I figure everything is lined up. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow. Something wasn't right today, it was hanging up. What about aligning the teeth of the gear from the tranny with the engine??? Is that ever a problem?

belizeanbus

Another day...maybe someone has another suggestion...?

I checked the alignment with the clutch alignment tool. It's fine. Checked the bearing against the old one. Same size. I put the engine back in this morning... same thing. Gets about 3/4 inch from joining and then stops. Nothing I do can get it together. The motor mounts even make it into place, and if I lower the tranny and the engine, they stay apart. Looks like the engine is pushing the tranny back. And it seems like it's the gear that comes forward out of the tranny. because when I put a bolt through one side and tighten a bit, the other side separates more. I was thinking the teeth of the gear weren't lining up properly. I can't think of anything else that could be blocking that thing.

I'll be taking it out to check it one more time. Any ideas?

belizeanbus

Might sound strange but have you checked the line-up pins in the bellhosing and engine? I know when I went to go stick my JDM in the RX it had a pin stuck in the Engine that was just hitting the same pin on the tranny. Had to pull it back out and tap the pin out of the engine. Then went in like butter.

have you tried rotating the tranny to get the teeth to line up (jack up one wheel and rotate it, with the tranny in gear). Sounds sort of like the input shaft isn't sliding into the clutch all the way, although this would keep it about 1.5" out I would think?

I had a little trouble getting the EA82 back in, but got it within a half inch of so, then pulled it closed with the bolts, while rocking it a little.

Is the trans lining up with the engine? Try raising or lowering the trans a little bit. The input shaft will go into the clutch disk if it's a little crooked, but it has to be almost exact for the tip to go into the pilot bearing.

I agree with Subarian's suggestion. When I just recently reinstalled my EA82, it took me a whole evening to mate the engine & tranny together... I found that having a floor jack on the tranny really helped, and I had to try many many different height positions of both motor & transmission before they would happily slide together.

Keep at 'er, you'll get it eventually. For my clutch vs. flywheel alignment, I didn't have the handy-dandy tool. So what I did was have all the pressure plate bolts loose, and then mate the engine + tranny. This centered the clutch as needed, and then I parted the two just enough to tighten down the one or two upper-most bolts I could get at. Then pull the whole rig further out and tighten the remaining bolts. Ghetto I know, but it was a not bad method in the end. All of what you are describing sounds like clutch vs. imput shaft misalignment; even though you say you used the tool.

for me the biggest hangup was that I would snag the motor mounts on the frame, and that would twist everything cockeyed a bit. Eventually, after many hours, I won... percevierance payed off. Just keep trying different height combinations, positions, and wiggling movements. I'm sure you'll get it eventually :drunk: