Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Throttle Position Sensor Questions

There are smatterings of TPS data here and there, but it's hard to search for (TPS is not searchable). I apologize if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it.

Can anyone give me specs on what the resistance should be closed and open (on the variable pins)? I checked mine tonight and it seems to be smooth, with only a few hiccups (that may well change when warmed up... it was stone cold when I tested). How sensitive is the car to these hiccups?

I have read some of the other threads and it seems that some have solved the problem that I'm having with a new (used) TPS... I'm hoping it will fix my bogginess and perhaps give me a few extra MPG to boot. Let me know what y'all think. If nothing else, post other links that are TPS relevant and this can be just a post for the search engine.

Throttle Position Sensor

Throttle Position Sensor

Throttle Position Sensor

there... it'll show up for sure now.:)

In this thread is a PDF to the guide that shows how to test the resistances in it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24997&highlight=throttle+position+sensor

I recently replaced my TPS, and got rid of some pretty bad surging I was getting under light throttle while cold. If you have AC, you may to file away a bit of the the compressor to give yourself room to get the TPS off. When you look at it you'll see what I mean.

oh yea, and for the shorter than 3 letter search terms, add a * (wildcard) to the end of the term. It will allow you to at least get some hits, ie, TPS*

Thanks for the info. I had seen all of that before, but the "should go to zero at full throttle" is what I think mine isn't doing. I'm getting down to something like 1000kOhm, but not zero. I think I can get a new used one for about $20 plus shipping, so I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the reply.