Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my check engine light has been coming on and off - mechanic says it is the knock sensor and a dealership can reset it. Anyone have an idea of what it costs and how long it takes? it is a subaru 2001 legacy sedan with 38K miles

ps: do they have to replace the actual part or can the code just be reset to fix the problem? Dealership says it is $180 to replace part and would take 1 1/2 hours, but I was under the impression from the mechanic that it was simpler than this to fix. any advice to help me not get ripped off would be appreciated.

welcome to the board.

Replacing the knock sensor if you know where it is, is really not that difficult and should cost somewhere around $60-70 retail for a replacement one, HOWEVER this is the historic subaru forum and meant for vehicles 79 an older (81 for the brat)

-Mike

i think you're in the wrong place mike smile.gif he got it right, he's in the NEW subaru forum. wink.gif

I agree, a knock sensor is usually about 70 bucks, and consists of having a 24mm or so socket, unscrewing it from the block, and screwing a new one in. connect your connector...and tada! maybe if you made a sandwitch or something inbetween it'd take an hour and a half... but i doubt it. i'd reccommend getting the part at like www.autopartswarehouse.com and then while you're waiting for the part, find exactly where it is, and get yourself the appripriate socket (24mm is for the old EA82T's... not sure on the new legacys) and you're good to go!

We have these in stock (OEM Factory part)

they are not too hard to change....

use our OEM catalog to view/order

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

to to mechanical section

choose

make: subaru

model: legacy

Model year: 2001

once you enter the catlog... key word: knock

you want the one for the 2.5L .....

hope this helps -

Jamie Thomas

email: Jamie at chaplins.com

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com

logo.gif

http://www.subiegal.com

Can you give directions on how to change it? I don't know where the knock sensor is and so far the only slightly mechanical thing I've done is change a headlight. thanks

We have these in stock (OEM Factory part)

they are not too hard to change....

use our OEM catalog to view/order

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

to to mechanical section

choose

make: subaru

model: legacy

Model year: 2001

once you enter the catlog... key word: knock

you want the one for the 2.5L .....

hope this helps -

Jamie Thomas

email: Jamie at chaplins.com

www.subarugenuineparts.com

logo.gif

www.subiegal.com

This is an easy one. All you need is a 12mm socket, an extension and a ratchet. open your hood. Look at your accelerator cable and follow it to where it hooks onto your throttle body. Look straight down next to the throttle body. On the top of the block(under the intake manifold) you will see a black barrel with a 12mm bolt in the center of it. It will have 1 wire coming off of it. This is yourr knock sensor. remove the bolt, disconnect the sensor and repaeat in reverse order. You just saved $150.00 bucks.

The SUBARU DR

Darin

Can you give directions on how to change it? I don't know where the knock sensor is and so far the only slightly mechanical thing I've done is change a headlight. thanks