Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy Auto Trannie Swap....Help/Advice Needed

I have a 1994 Legacy wagon and I am about to put in a Japanese import automatic transmission (got 204K out of the original !). I've got the transmission being shipped and need to know what else I need to get in way of parts to do the trannie swap (gasket kits,etc.). Also any advice/helpful hints would be greatly appreciated since this is my first auto swap. Thanks !

So you're putting a used auto in correct?

Unless you plan to replace anything inside the used AT you're putting in, you shouldn't really need anything else.

Removing the AT is a little bit of a pain. You might want to get a tranny jack, and have someone around to help

The only thing I'd probably recommend you replace is the speedo cable base piece

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/speedocablebase.jpg

They are known for going out, and are pretty cheap to replace.

Do you know what year and model car the transmission is coming out of? Is your legacy AWD? If so, you really need to make sure the final drive ratio is the same. If you post the Tranny model codes, I can probably help you verify that.

Where in Texas are you from?

The transmission's appear to be the same, both 1994 AWD units. I thought in looking into past postings there was an issue about replacing a clip or ring off the driveshaft ?? I'm in Lakehills, around San Antonio. This is my third Subaru but they were both manuals.

I have a 1994 Legacy wagon and I am about to put in a Japanese import automatic transmission (got 204K out of the original !). I've got the transmission being shipped and need to know what else I need to get in way of parts to do the trannie swap (gasket kits,etc.). Also any advice/helpful hints would be greatly appreciated since this is my first auto swap. Thanks !

The input shaft is hollow. Inside it there is a solid shaft that often comes out when the TC is removed.

When you install the transmission it must fully seat against the bellhousing. If it seems to hang up 1/4" from the bellhousing...STOP. That solid shaft is not fully engaged and if you proceed to tighten the bolts all you will do is bust the internal oil pump.

Be forewarned getting that solid shaft to fully engage whatever it engages inside the transmission can be a real PITA.