Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to Soobys and new to the board. A few questions.

Hey, I just move to Portland Oregon and with fears of Ice Storms and such I went and bought a used 86 gl turbo, 5sp dr 4wd.

The good; body has one small dent under the rear bumper otherwise it's straight, replaced the one dead injector and the car is fairly quick not as fast as my volvo but enough to make it fun. Decent interior.

The bad; under high speed braking I have a shimmy - not felt at normal braking. Jumps out of 4wd if I'm accelarating hard then back off quick and sometimes it jumps out just of the hell of it. Controller to send heat and a/c in various directions doesnt seem to work. H style little 13 in tires.

So first things I'd like to know.

1) What is the stock turbo on these and what is the stock boost setting (I'll be getting a guage and maybe and MBC after a little more investigation)

2) Also how much boost can the stock turbo push and how good or bad is this water cooled intercooler.

3) How does the stock system handle things like injector swaps and what if any are the limits on the stock ecu.

4) What can be done about the little tires and have people lowered these cars. I'm not planning on taking this offroad as it is primarily going to be my winter commuter car but I'd like it to handle better and not look like I'm trying to compete with a lifted jeep.

5) Any thoughts on what to check out regarding the shimmy while braking

6) how do you get that switch panel off or is there some other trick to making those things work. All I can get is air out the front vents, at least it's heated air.

7) anything else you can tell me or I should know about these cars.

I'm gonna try an use the search function to get some answers but I figured I'd ask first as well as introduce myself.

Thanks

Renny

I don't really like turbo's on gas engines (diesels are a different matter -- I really like my turbo on that) so I'll let other people answer the turbo specific questions.

On the other questions:

4) If you want a little larger diamter tires, run 185/70/13's instead of 175/70/13's. They're actually the same diameter as the low profile 14's that alot of cars run. People do put 14" peogot wheels on them, or even 15" toyota truck wheels (with modification), but that's for offroading. And you have to raise the car to make them fit, which seems to be the opposit of what you want. I have seen lowered ones occasionally, but I'm not sure how. You'll find that hardly anyone does this. I personally like mine stock. Enough ground clearance for some snow and dirt roads, but still handles well on the highway. Not like a little honda civic hatchback, true, but way better than any SUV or my truck, especially in snow.

5) Check if you've got a warped rotor maybe?

6) These are vacuum controlled switches. There is a canister on the passenger side firewall of the engine up under the dash sort of, with vacuum lines going to it. If there are leaks, or if the canister has a broken diaphram, it won't change. The panel vents is the default position, so that's where it goes to if something breaks. On mine, it switches to the panel vents whenever I go up a steep hill and the engine vaccuum goes down.

7) Don't let them overheat -- they blow head gaskets if you do (duh).

Keep clean oil in them (they tend to leak and/or burn it, although they'll still run forever).

Change the timing belt every 60k, unless you want to get stranded when it breaks. They're non-interference engines, so no one ever changes the belts on time.

That's pretty much it.

shimmying - check the brakes then get the front rotors turned. Same thing happened on my car. They didn't look warped, but getting them turned fixed it.

heater vents - probably a vacuum line missing under the hood. On the passenger side rear is a little cannister. Make sure it is connected to the intake manifold and has vacuum before & after.

other stuff - just start reading threads and the similar ones listed at the bottom of the page that sound interesting :drunk:

Thanks for the info so far. Any one have info on these turbos? Also the TD04-13c also came stock on later model volvo 740s and I have one in the trunk of mine right now would that work. The turbine faces sideways and the compressor points up. What is the orientation of the WRX version?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Renny