Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Legacy, need torque number

Going to be replacing the side diff. seals once they come in. Doesn't look like a terrible job, except for those damn rusty bolts.

Looked through my manual but I couldn't find the torque numbers for the side gear retainer (5 bolts). If any one can get those numbers, or point me in the right direction to find them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Any ideas how big they are (the seals), or what size socket I need to take them out and put them in?

Thanks!

Beezer

They can be a pain as the retainer has very fine threads. Any dirt... in the threads will lock them up tight. Make sure its not cross threaded when you back them out. Do NOT try to turn it with a hammer and drift on the fins, they will break off. You need the special spaner or you may have luck with a large screwdriver or pry bar and turning it fin by fin.

You should also replace the oring that seals the retainer. Mark the fin where it matches up with the lock. It will be easy to reset the bearing end play by just returning it to the same spot.