Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS system functioning correctly?

Hi,

I have a 96 OB and now that finally the weather is getting cold and snowy I took my wheels out to where I might have a chance to test out how effective the AWD and ABS systems were on slippery roads.

Anyhow, on slippery roads, I hit the brakes to test the functioning of the ABS. Sure enough, the system forced the brake pedal to back off preventing a lock...but the odd thing I noticed was that I could hear and feel in my foot what amounted to a grinding of gears as the system forced the pedal back. This grinding felt like it was coming from the brake system itself.

Is this normal or is something amiss?

Thanks for your input,

Damien

i get the same thing with my 94 legacy,still haven't inquired with my mech yet as to whether or not it needs fixing or not.

i know that if i don't find out if it needs fixing,i may just pull the fuse so that this winter i don't keep getting the grinding noise i got like i had last winter.

Hi,

I have a 96 OB and now that finally the weather is getting cold and snowy I took my wheels out to where I might have a chance to test out how effective the AWD and ABS systems were on slippery roads.

Anyhow, on slippery roads, I hit the brakes to test the functioning of the ABS. Sure enough, the system forced the brake pedal to back off preventing a lock...but the odd thing I noticed was that I could hear and feel in my foot what amounted to a grinding of gears as the system forced the pedal back. This grinding felt like it was coming from the brake system itself.

Thanks for your input,

Damien

Have your breaks checked. The ABS is an acummulator that releases a very minor amount of brake fluid, then when you stop breaking, it is released back to the master cylinder. I am not quite sure if its solenoids or a motor that does it, but furst rule out the cheap stuff like your brakes.

nipper

normal operating characteristic.

Darin

Hi,

Thanks for your input,

Damien

The ABS pump cycles the fluid. If it decides that you are pressing to hard on the pedal, it will "kick-back" some of the excess pressure and this will cause the pedal to pulse.

It can sound and feel very violent - especially if all four wheels need pulsing as on snow.