Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Renoun 2.5 Head Gasket Problems?

This site saved my but on buying a 1997 Outback with the renoun 2.5 headgasket problem that has screwed thousands of people if the truth be known. My question is: Did Subaru correct the problem in the later model 2.5 and if so, what year did it start? Thanks in advance for chiming in!

Rick

someone posted earlier this week that it was 2001 that they started using the new and improved gaskets. but this being hearsay, i'd hold off for verification.

the 2.2's are bullet proof any years, only the 2.5 has issues.

Grossgary, thanks for the quick reply!

Help me out here. I have a 95 2.2 Legacy that has been great, but due to a new longer commute, I will probably have to get a newer vehicle after the winter. I never buy new, so I am looking for a used vehicle. Although I love the AWD, good mileage and cargo space of the Subaru wagon, I am leaning away from Subaru just because of the head gasket issues with the 2.5 engine. I don't need any $2000 surprises. Can anyone convince me to stay with Subaru and not defect? Talk to me! :-\

Ahh the joyous tale of the Phase I 2.5 head gasket monster....

There is a substiated theory (search) by an airplane pilot who chooses to use this engine in the air! that the problem apparantly stems from leaving air in the cooling system. This is a design flaw in this engine. However, you are able to avoid this issue by properly "burping" all the air from the system.

considering that there are MANY MANY MANY 96 - 99 1/2 engines on the road with lots of miles (I have one with 155k & one with 85k) that have NOT had the hg's replaced... & even if they have had them done, is it still not a great little ride & the best looking Subaru????????

Do you think if the % was, in reality, that high that you'd see all these sleek beauties cruisin' about?

Later,

Peter

keep in mind: "all lies & jest until a man hears what he wants to hear & disregards the rest..." Paul Simon

The phase 2 came out in the Forester and Imp in 99. This is why I have a 99 Forester myself. I think it hit the Legacy and Outback the next year.

The phase 2 pre 2003 can do an external leak that Subaru's general cure for is a can of goop.They have also extended the head gasket warranty to 100,000 miles on these.

The phase 1 tends to do an internal leak that only new gaskets can fix. there have been three version of phase one gaskets and the last version seems to work well. The phase 2 has at least two gasket versions. I am currently running th post 2003 version on my car.

The phase 2 came out in the Forester and Imp in 99. This is why I have a 99 Forester myself. I think it hit the Legacy and Outback the next year.

The phase 2 pre 2003 can do an external leak that Subaru's general cure for is a can of goop.They have also extended the head gasket warranty to 100,000 miles on these.

The phase 1 tends to do an internal leak that only new gaskets can fix. there have been three version of phase one gaskets and the last version seems to work well. The phase 2 has at least two gasket versions. I am currently running th post 2003 version on my car.

Thank, so if I get a 2000 or newer, I should be OK - I LOVE my 95 - but it is funny how many people have said to me: "Don't lesbians drive those things" ? Where did THAt come from..?

Help me out here. I have a 95 2.2 Legacy that has been great, but due to a new longer commute, I will probably have to get a newer vehicle after the winter. I never buy new, so I am looking for a used vehicle. Although I love the AWD, good mileage and cargo space of the Subaru wagon, I am leaning away from Subaru just because of the head gasket issues with the 2.5 engine. I don't need any $2000 surprises. Can anyone convince me to stay with Subaru and not defect? Talk to me! :-\

first off its not a 2000.00 surprise, its more like 1200. Secondly when you buy used, no one can guarentee that any car you buy will not cost 1500 after you buy it. Thirdly there are plenty of us that have not had a headgasket go bad, and are aproaching 200,000 miles.

nipper

If there is about a 25% chance the phase 1 headgaskets will fail (this is only a number someone told me) that still leaves 75% with no problem. Of course if you are in the unlucky number who have failures it still leaves you angry and frustrated.

I chose the later engine after being advised by this board on the possible problem. The other reason I liked the later style is that I prefer SOHC on a car that I may work on myself and is going to do the hard work for me.

My BMW is a pampered garage queen while the Subie is hauling train parts and tools to SF in a few minutes. For this duty I want a car as reliable as possible. She is covered in mud today as I have not had time to clean her since running her through the rain and mud at the port yesterday. This is what I have a car with four wheel drive for and the little forester does the job.

If I were you I'd get a post 2000 phase 2 with as few miles as possible.

first off its not a 2000.00 surprise, its more like 1200. Secondly when you buy used, no one can guarentee that any car you buy will not cost 1500 after you buy it. Thirdly there are plenty of us that have not had a headgasket go bad, and are aproaching 200,000 miles.

nipper

Don't be offended, Nipper - I guess if I got a good enough deal (<wholesale) on a "Phase I" 2.5, it would be worth it, so if I had to eventually piss some $$ into it I wouldn't feel bad. I am gonna run the 95 until I have a good enough excuse to ditch it however.