Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Synthetic Oil AFTER replacing seals?????

Hello all, '96 OBW 2.5l has been leaking oil like a sieve for a couple days now (coming from behind the TB housing), and from the info on this site, looks like either camseals or crankshaft seals...anyway, car is going in to get fixed on Tuesday. I assume they need to drain the oil for the repairs, so would this be a good time to switch the engine oil to synthetic, or am I just opening myself up to more leaks elsewhere??? Car has about 180,000KMS.

tx in advance

mal

you know there are two school of thoughts on this, one says it will leak, others say it wont. Personally i would just stay with regular dino oil at that age in the car. i mean the car is 9 years old, why even take the risk. What are the reasons you want to switch oils. nipper

I will only run synthetic in my car now (well, or whatevers cheap if I need it in a pinch)

and I am drivin the 94 impreza with 181k+....NO leaks! :D it was horrid when i bought it, leaked out of almost every seal... but I fixed er up good (this was at 160k) and, its still going good!

so if you used good OEM seals, and OEM 3-bond glue (for the oil pan, sep plate, oil pump) it should be fine with synth- and it should run a little better too...

thats just my experience and advice ;)

I switched to synthetic at 205 000 km. So far, I'm very happy with it. I'm using 0W30, which is unavailable in Dino. It's absolutely wonderful for cold weather cold starts.

But the primary reason I switched to synthetic is it's a nerdlier oil. I'm the kind of guy who'd want to buy a gas/electric hybrid because of its cool technology, even if it doesn't save gas vs. a diesel. I will send a sample of my oil off for analysis when I get 5000 mi on it, and I'll probably end up changing the oil once a year.

I don't think they'll have to drain the oil to change the camshaft seals. The oil drains out of the upper engine and into the oil pan when the engine is not on, and draining the oil pan isn't going to have any effect on what's behind the seals.

I see you're in the Great White North. I think you'd love 0W30.

Brian