Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front CV joint on 4WD Legacy going bad

a slight but and it clicks? sounds like your past "going" bad and well into "is" bad.

Depends if it is awd or manaul 4wd. manual 4wd will get you to the garage. AWD may get you to the shop, but you have to stay below 50mph. with a broken cv joint at 50 the awd in the automtic does weird things, all not good for the car. the awd dissconnects at this speed to protect itself as the spee differnce between the front and rear is too extreeme for it to deal with. This was shown by someone else who drive miles with this, and thats what he had happen. If its a manual with awd, i would think it wouldnt be too healthy for tthe viscous coupling. Also there is the chance of the axle seizing in the cv coint then ALL sorts of fun starts.

nipper

It's a manual. And I know what some of the pitfalls can be. But the car is going to the crusher in 4 weeks (actuallly not going in 4 weeks, but stop driving in 4 weeks, then being stripped before the crusher) and I want to get every last bit of mileage out of it. As long as I can gamble on sensibly limping it home 12 miles maximum if it goes, or atleast being able to drive it on the trailer, I'm going to push it to the end just to see what happens