Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 thermostat.....

So, I got a new thermastat put in , after I destoyed it, LOL.!!

Ever since then, I notice that EVERYTIME I first get into my car for the day. And drive a few miles...The water temp will REACH the red line, and then suddendly go back down to normal.

Now, that seems to be consistent with the T-Stat. Now, I can live with that, but, is it OK on the engine to get that hot, before the T-STAT opens?

Does it hurt anything? It has never gone to the red, just before, and then back down,. and stays half way all day, doing great. Only when I start off the dayy, or after a long sit spell.

Please let me know what you think..!! thanks

Could be air in the system. See my reply to LuckyPistol's heater core question.

Ditto on the air. It probably has an air bubble that devolps right under the thermostat while sitting overnight.

Did you get an OEM thermostat or an aftermarket one? Did it have the little hole with the jiggle pin in it? If not, it may be very difficult to get all the air out of the system.

Thanks so far....

The ONE I put in, had the jiggly valve, but since I sheared off one of the bolts putting it back together, I never knew how it did.

The guy i took it to, said he put another one in.......??? dont know which, I am thinking a maybe not a jiggly valve???

hmmm.......will call him tomorrow..

• 1 month later...

Boys, The mechanic can't remember what type of thermostat he put in. I swear, I just bought one myself, and will be putting it in tomorrow. I am going straight for the bolts on the housing. Everything else (on top of it) is just going to go with it.

I am still getting bubbling into my overfill tank. I just flushed my radiator. I also garden hosed the Heater Core. Although, I just squirted it into the left hose, and water was really just coming out at a stream (from the right), but not a big gusher type. Dont know if that is normal.

Shall I by pass the HC? I guess it;s worth a try.

Also, If I DO NOT put a thermostat back in, AND my car still over heats, what is the best guess it could be then? radiator?

It could very well be the Head gasket, but car runs great, smooth, All the fluids look great , no oil in rad. ...well thanks in adance.

You probably have a cracked pair of heads. You can run as long as you want without a thermostat, but the mileage will suck and so will your defrost.

You can also use any block sealing product but these are just bandaids on a fracture. Best way would be to look around for a donor car, as this is the best way to get a good used motor cheaply. You also get to score other parts that way too.

I didn't say it was fruitless, and it won't be a blown gasket. I have pulled apart a couple of hundred blown motors, and only two had bad gaskets. The rest all had cracks between the valves.

I have lots of customers running around on Block Seal, mostly because the car may not be worth putting another motor into, or maybe I didn't have the time, or maybe I didn't have a good motor for them right then.

Bottom line is, yes you can keep driving it, but no, you can't bet your life on it again until you resolve the problem properly.

Sorry about my last response, I was drinking last night. LOL. Oh, my head hurts.

Well, before you can repair "cracked valves" or a "head gasket", I need to find out WHAT has caused it and repair it, Or I will end up with the same problem? no?

So I have a few questions.

1) Would it do any good to bypass the heater core? I mean could that be what is causing the overheating?

2) How can I check for cracked valves? And what is the procedure for the repair? And if I cant do it, what would be a good price for someone to do it.

3) If I run the car without a "Thermostat" , and my head/valves are shot, WILL the car STILL overheat - yes or no.

Finally, I am not concerned about having any heat in this car. I just want this car to last maybe another year if possible. I also Do NOT want to spend any money on it anymore. I am at my wits end with this thing. If a block sealer is what I might do, Which one would you recommend?

Thanks for everyones Help.!!