Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Few questions about my new purchase...

Hi all,

I’m new here and looking for some answers about the Subaru I just purchased. Just yesterday I bought a ’95 Subaru Legacy Lsi w/ AWD and auto trans. (2.2 ltr). It seems the car took a little impact to the front but it doesn’t look as if it was damaged badly, it’s all fixed now of course. Anyway, I have few questions about this car and I was hoping that maybe you guys could help me.

First, does anyone here know of a good mechanic located on far north side of Chicago? I intend to do some of the work myself but it’s always good to have some backup in the area.

Second, what type of engine oil do you recommend to use with this engine? It looks like one of the previous owners put 10W30 Valvoline oil in it. Should I put same weight oil in the engine, car has 125000 miles now?

Third, I noticed that auto trans fluid is yellow and I’ve never seen anything like it before. What is this stuff, how often should it be changed and where to buy it? Also, is it mineral or synthetic oil? And what about putting red line ATF in it???

This car has now 125000 miles and I saw that timing belt should be changed every 60k miles. Is there a good way to check and see if it was recently done, or do you just recommend changing it anyway?

There are so many more things I want to ask but I don’t want to bore you anymore so why don’t you tell me what should I check and look for to keep this baby running.

I greatly appreciate all responses, and hope to have good time here and with my new car. Thanks

MJ

For oil I recomend synthetic.I use Mobil 1 but that's my preference.I think you should have your timing belts replaced just for peace of mind since you just bought the car and are unsure of last change.Good luck.The motor you have the (EJ22) is a very reliable engine.Should give you years of trouble free service.Oh and welcome to the board.

I would suggest finding a 5W-40 oil - perhaps 5W-50 if you find their is oil consumption. 5W-40 will start easy in winter and not thin out so much at high temps. (xW-30 oil is fine for winter use only)

The timing belt covers should show signs of recent work, like being clean or having finger prints all over. If you can open one side of the covers, you can visually inspect the belt. I would agree with Jerry though, replace the belt if you are in doubt!

I think the yellow oil you found is the front differential. There should be another dipstick back there for the gearbox itself. That'll have red fluid in it - as you would expect.

There's one more diff at the rear. This one and the front take 75W-90 API GL5.