Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no power in 22 degree weather??

Hey all. I just took a half hour drive to the mall with a couple of my female friends for christmas shopping (yawn) and my car had NO power. At least at the beginning. I mean i let it warm up and it was all the way warm on the temp gauge but it just would not go. I got it up on the highway and couldn't get it over 50 for about 3 minutes. It was like i was against a wall. Then all of a sudden the power was back and i since my foot was so deep in it to get it to move i hit 80 mph real quick. Anyone got any ideas. The only thing i could come up with was maybe some moisture froze in the carb and then let loose when i hit the highway? Im putting a new carb on in a little over a week so maybe that will solve this. Ive never had this happen to me before in this car or in my first subaru.

Have you been using HEET or such in the gas? In the cold, water in the gas line can freeze in the fuel filter. With the lower fuel pressure of the carb fuel pump, a bit of ice could easily keep enough fuel from getting to the carb. When the float level gets low, you'll lose higher power outputs (same as a motorcycle running out of gas).

Try adding fuel line dryer. And then add a bottle for each fillup until it gets warmer than freezing regularly.

-=Russ=-

My car isn't carburated, but i have similar problems in the morning. I have found that if i hold the gas to about 2500 rpm, instead of what its chocked at, it seems to get it warmed up quick and drives fine, but if i just leave it idling wheres its choked at, it takes for ever and it is REALLY gutless..

With an automatic transmission, it wont shift well either until its warmed up. Especially when turning a corner...at least this is what my car does...

I changed my filters about 2 or 3 months ago so i think they should still be good to go right?

It still could be some thing in the fuel filter. After you try the heat in your gas, if you are still having problems it is easy and cheap to replace the fuel filter. It also seem that the gas stations pull more junk from their tanks in the winter.

-=fred=-