Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Duty solenoid valve?

What is it and is it important?

I was going through my fuses and found a missing fuse for ECM. So I put a 5amp fuse in turned the key to start and heard a loud fast ticking. Looked under the hood and these solenoid deals are making the noise.

Is this normal?

Should I replace them?

Should I just pull the fuse back out and say screw it?:-\

Perhaps part of the prob ive been posting about.?.?

Is your car a turbo? If so, that would be the wastegate duty control solenoid. It activates the wastegate at max boost ~7 psi.

It will click if the car is in test mode. Look below the steering wheel at the ECU (you may have to remove a plastic panel). Below it, here will be a male and female pair of black single-wire harnesses and green T-shaped single-wire harnesses. If you have an XT the connectors will be in the trunk.

The green ones are for test mode. Disconnect the green ones to take it out of test mode. The black ones are for read memory. Green + black = clear memory. Keep the fuse in, put the correct size in if it is not 5A.

Maybe someone put in test mode, didn't like the clicking, and pulled fuse?

If your car is a mid to early 80's these valves regulate the amount of air that is mixed with the fuel before it is fed to the carb venturi. Basically they are the muscles of the feed back system. The ecm being the brains.

If these valves haven't working you could have been running rich.

I have EXACTLY the same thing going on under my hood. I tried to figure it out a few weeks ago, but got sorta burned out on it.

Does this "test mode" apply to early 80's non-turbo wagons? EA-81 to be specific.

If so, I want the green to go to black? huh? what?

What is it and is it important?

I was going through my fuses and found a missing fuse for ECM. So I put a 5amp fuse in turned the key to start and heard a loud fast ticking. Looked under the hood and these solenoid deals are making the noise.

Is this normal?

Should I replace them?

Should I just pull the fuse back out and say screw it?:-\

Perhaps part of the prob ive been posting about.?.?