Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My dad's '96 outback (with the 2.2 manual) has gone up hill in 14 - 16" of snow before. It plows a trough, and runs out of torque before running out of traction. Unless it's really wet gloop, 10" of of snow should be no trouble. My '89 GL wagon had handled 19" of fresh light powder without trouble. The higher power of the new engines should make up for the lack of low range than they have compared to mine.

I have driven a '03 ford explorer, ford expeditions and my 4wd truck, and there is no comparison to the subaru's handling in snow. The ford explorer was especially bad. Squirrely on the road due to short wheelbase, and on bad roads the supposed 4wd lo would not spin more than one wheel at a time, and the suspension is way to soft for offroading. I don't know what the magnum is, but it sounds sort of like a big SUV/minivan? It sounds like she's interested in pretty high horsepower, but I think that even a stock 2.5 non turbo can tow 1,500 lbs. My friends '98 outback still performs like a rocket pulling a couple of kayaks on a trailer. But I'm used to an 84 HP car (the subaru), a 52 HP car, and an 84 HP truck too. A test drive is the only answer here -- remember a subaru will weigh alot less than something with a V8 engine in it too.

As for the ugly design. Well, I agree on the tribeca, but the design for the '05 outback's is growing on me as I see them more. Can't help you here... Funny you like the Acura though -- I think it looks like the '05 subarus...

Top 10 Vehicles for Towing (Note #10)

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/102426/article.html

P.S. So USMB doesn't like firefox or vice versa. I had to go back to IE to post here.

Holy begeezus. 16,000 lbs towing capacity for the dodge ram with the cummins huh??? We had about 6,000 lbs on one of these, and 2,500 in the back of the truck. Guess it wasn't even close to capacity... Got 18mpg doing that too.

The outback is rated pretty well I see.

Hmmm. I only use Firefox, and have never had trouble other than an occasional cannot find site (I assume when it's really busy).

The outback is growing on me as well, but I still can't like it in black. I think it should be nice in white. I think the ram 3500 can now tow 23,000 pounds, at least thats what I have heard everywhere else.

The magnum is a wagon, and I really liked it. It had the benz 4matic system, its 6.5 inches of ground clearance, 5.7 liter hemi v8 putting out 345/390.

I was kinda secretly hoping though my mom would force the subaru, cause I was getting more and more worried about constant leaks and failures on the dodge forum. As for the acura looking like the outback, here is your photo comparison:

white 04+ TL:

04tl_2.jpg

White 05+ Outback:

large-3.jpg

I don see any similarity except the paint color.

As for the acura looking like the outback, here is your photo comparison:

I dont see any similarity except the paint color.

Yeah. Not so close as I thought:D. What I recognized in the Acura was the similar looking headlight designs -- with the angular shape pointing down towards the center with same angle on the the body colored divider bars between the headlights and the center grill. The previous subarus had a different design to those little dividers that made the front end look a bit different.

The blue and green two tone outback wagons (not sure what particular model those are) are the ones I'm starting to like. The uni-color ones I still can't quite get into.

Heres where my acura knowledge comes in: You mean the the redesigned headlights for the 2nd gen TL, which were included with the mid model face lift:

Note: The 3rd gen we have is a completly redesigned car

Nah. To me that one doesn't look the same as the subaru at all. The headlights touch the radiator grill instead of having the dividers sweep down between them from the hood, which gives an entirely different feel to the front end, IMO. I think that, more than the actual headlight shape, is what I'm feeling.

Thanks for those sites. Also thanks for the good info. I just figured it could do just as well with a car with locking diffys since TCS is always giving the correct amount of power to the wheels with the correct amount of grip.

On road, sure. I've driven three Outbacks a total of 250,000+ miles - and two of them didn't have the limited slip differential. I can count the number of times I've spun the wheels on one hand. But like almost everyone, I don't drive them of road.

You're going to tow your new Ariens with this? You have your learner's permit now?

The sunroof on the Legacy/OB wagons is easily one coolest sunroofs on the market right now. I would have paid a lot of money for one in my 05, however you can only get it with the leather option which I did not want in my utility vehicle.

You also mentioned the stereo... the L/OB 05s have a one piece environmental control/radio unit in the dash instead of having the radio being a seperate- standardized size radio. The radio you get in the car is the radio you are stuck with unless you want to drop an aftermarket model into the glove box or upgrade the factory stereos. At the very least, the VCD car comes with an MP3 player which should read burned CD MP3's; however I don't believe it has an auxilary jack if you have a portable player.

I love my mp3 player. I am never going to lug around books of disks, tapes, records ever again!

When buying my 05, I never gave the stock radio much consideration because I had every intention on pullilng it and putting in something more capable. I wash crushed to learn that I am forever stuck with the unit that it came with.

So, out come the stupid binders once again.