Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Using this since March for my mail route. RHD imported from Japan. Looks like they were made mostly for the UK market. Had a Legacy L for 6 years but sold it as it had 263,000 miles on it. Wish I had it back. Blew an ignition coil yesterday. Anybody out there know what part number is compatible with 22433AA280?

If its the coil on top of the manifold, and 90-94 in year, I am giving it a 75% chance that any coil from a US 90-94 legacy would work, either the hitachi or diamond. They are interchangable.

A thousand thanks. I'll call the mechanic as soon as he's open. Been panicking bigtime. Looking at 10 days off the road to get one shipped from overseas.

So tell us more. What size engine does it have? Single or Double overhead cams?

It's a 2 litre engine with a turbo. I don't know how many cams. Mechanic says it needs a different coil for each spark plug and it's the #2 one that is broken. He said the xxxx part number doesn't match anything in the cross reference book. Has tried a couple that were close but had to send them back. It has been a jim dandy car up til now.

It's a 2 litre engine with a turbo. I don't know how many cams. Mechanic says it needs a different coil for each spark plug and it's the #2 one that is broken. He said the xxxx part number doesn't match anything in the cross reference book. Has tried a couple that were close but had to send them back. It has been a jim dandy car up til now.
What year?? Sounds like one of my EJ20G engines (1989 to 1996), they have a coil at each plug. They are not common to any US model that I know if. On my spare engine the coil for #2 is also broken. If you look at the top of the engine as it sits in the car, you should not be able to see any spark plug wire, that's because there are no spark plug wires that look like what most people are used to seeing. These are parts that need to be imported. If you do find a local source, please let me know.

What year?? Sounds like one of my EJ20G engines (1989 to 1996), they have a coil at each plug. They are not common to any US model that I know if. On my spare engine the coil for #2 is also broken. If you look at the top of the engine as it sits in the car, you should not be able to see any spark plug wire, that's because there are no spark plug wires that look like what most people are used to seeing. These are parts that need to be imported. If you do find a local source, please let me know.

The spark plugs have these little rubber things on them and black rubber tubes. You can sort of see them. They had to remove quite a bit of stuff to change the plugs when I got it tuned up last month. They are more in the middle of the engine I guess. It is a 1990 model but the ownership says it's an 89 because it was a December car and they work on the calendar year in Japan. My mechanic has gone thru his books and found a coil by sight that he hopes will work. I'll let you know what the # is if it does.

Still waiting. I'd bet mine is an EJ20 (with no "G"). Looked it up in the UK. It's a 4 cam 4 cylinder 16 valve Boxer multi point fuel injection motor with a turbo intercooler. It probably is an 89. I miss it terribly. Have a photo but haven't figured out how to post it yet. How difficult would it be to remove this motor and drop in something domestic that will get me back on the road? Is it worth my while to look into buying a Japanese motor from the Retail section here or am I going to have the same problem getting parts? Does a VIN number go with the motor or the body? Renting a Pontiac and driving against the flow of traffic and getting xxxxxx sick of it.

Still waiting. I'd bet mine is an EJ20 (with no "G"). Looked it up in the UK. It's a 4 cam 4 cylinder 16 valve Boxer multi point fuel injection motor with a turbo intercooler. It probably is an 89. I miss it terribly. Have a photo but haven't figured out how to post it yet. How difficult would it be to remove this motor and drop in something domestic that will get me back on the road? Is it worth my while to look into buying a Japanese motor from the Retail section here or am I going to have the same problem getting parts? Does a VIN number go with the motor or the body? Renting a Pontiac and driving against the flow of traffic and getting xxxxxx sick of it.
The "G" is Subaru's code for turbocharged for model years 89 to 96 EJ20's. Look to see if there is a data plate, on it, it will have Engine Type, the coding after that should look something like EJ20GXXZXX (with the X's being letters and the Z being a number). The last five figures in the code will tell you what the horse power rating is for that engine and possibly what car it came in. I knew a guy locally who couldn't give those engines away, he finally went out of business and move to California. I picked up three of them for $400 buck each (below what they cost him), but the last one sold over a year ago.