Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All, I did a quick search but didn't notice this information posted here, so I thought I'd share.

I picked up some oil filters the other day and was confused when I was handed a smaller/different filter. From what I understand all non-H6's will now use the same filter (AA09A).

http://tinypic.com/ieh6ja.jpg

AA060 in left, AA09A on right (serial #F10R28E1)

In my googling I found an interesting NASIOC thread, it's definitely worth a quick read. (In short; some of the newer AA09A's were defective, but the new ones that you get now should be fine.)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864075&page=1

I'm hoping I wasn't the only person to wonder what was going on. :)

I knew about it, but thats only because i'm unemployed and hang out at the dealership more than they'd like.

On that same note, if you have the new SOA filter, check your oil level, if it seems to be going down and your ride dosn't usually burn oil, its the gasket on the filter, but as you said, the new ones have been fixed, it was only about 2 months ago that the cars were effected.

• 2 weeks later...

long read, interesting info. Let's hope i'm in the clear, i just changed it this afternoon. I just crawled back under to look at the production number, mines a F11 so hopefully i'm in the clear. It's odd that the new filter doesn't have a pressure release valve/thingy inside on the bottom.

for me the term if it's not broke don't fix it rings in here.

Canadian Subaru filters seem to be completely different part numbers. I just bought this Legacy at a dealership a week or two ago and they changed the oil before releasing it.

It's not leaking at all. The brown crap is dried mud.

The writing on the filter is:

"SIX STAR SERVICE

Subaru Canada, Inc.

SCI530001

C41733"

Here's some pics. Maybe an interim solution would be to order some filters from a Canadian dealer until SoA gets their act together. People at the end of that thread were reporting that the "new" filters were still leaking.

post-16225-136027605567_thumb.jpg

post-16225-136027605573_thumb.jpg

post-16225-136027605578_thumb.jpg

In my googling I found an interesting NASIOC thread, it's definitely worth a quick read. (In short; some of the newer AA09A's were defective, but the new ones that you get now should be fine.)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864075&page=1

Apparently, it's not the first time that Subaru has had problems with Purolator oil filters. Although I've used lots of their filters in the past on other vehicles, I'm reluctant to do so on the Subaru. It seems that SoA is taking an "if it first you don't succeed,..." approach with Purolator. What follows is from NHTSA; check out the notification date:

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

NHTSA Campaign No:98V127000

Manufacturer's Campaign No:

Manufactured From:01/21/1998 - 04/07/1998

Units Affected:20,306

Owner Notification Date:09/15/1998

Description of Defect

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES, ALSO SERVICE PARTS SUPPLIED TO SUBARU DEALERS ARE INVOLVED (LOT NUMBERS F01 J21D2, F01 J30D2, F02 J09D1, F02 J09D2, AND F02 J20D1). THE PUROLATOR OIL FILTER CANS USED ON THESE VEHICLES CAN FRACTURE CAUSING A VAPORIZED OIL SPRAY AND SUBSEQUENT OIL LEAK.

Consequence of Defect

THIS VAPORIZED OIL SPRAY CAN RESULT IN OIL VAPOR IGNITION BY THE HOT EXHAUST SYSTEM RESULTING IN A POSSIBLE UNDERHOOD FIRE.

Corrective Action

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THESE ENGINE OIL FILTERS.

well from what i gathered from that other read, the pure one filter would be an acceptable alternative as it has a lower pressure, which will ultimately be safe for the engine in the long run, compared to something that has a higher bypass pressure than the normal oem unit. at anyrate, my F11 filter is not leaking...yet. keeping fingers crossed.

I'm going to try out the filter for the H6 (SOA5165109). From what I've read it's exactly the same as the old H4 filter, just more filter media. The only concern i've seen is that it has a concave opening, so not as many threads will engage. The new AA09A filter is concave too... so I'm guessing it isn't really a problem. I'll do a measurement and post my findings.

I'm going to try out the filter for the H6 (SOA5165109). From what I've read it's exactly the same as the old H4 filter, just more filter media. The only concern i've seen is that it has a concave opening, so not as many threads will engage. The new AA09A filter is concave too... so I'm guessing it isn't really a problem. I'll do a measurement and post my findings.

this filter is great and will work for any non 2006 models

if you have a 2006, you will need the smaller filter as the Larger H6 filter will not work

otherwise, until we (Subaru) get the AA100 (black Roki filters) back in stock

i would recommend using the SOA5165109

hope this helps!

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png