Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If it was a manual tranny, Yes, you can convert it to RWD. But then you can NEVER GO BACK to Awd. The manual trannys have a silicone liquid that hardens as it heats up, giving a LSD effect to the center differential. When that fluid overheats enough, it becomes a solid. Permanently. So the car now has a locked center differential. This lets you drive the car in RWD with the front halfshaft removed, but if the front halfshafts are ever replaced, the car will experience major binding on turns. So it's a one way street, with a new tranny needed if he ever wants to go back to AWD.

If he put a 4wd transmission in it from an EA82 car instead of the AWD transmission the legacies came with then it's not problem. I ran my '82 GL as a rear wheel drive for a while when I stripped a front hub on it.

But why? If you want to slide around ineffectually in the snow, get a '70's american V-8 coupe with an auto transmission and bald tires.... don't nueter a subaru.