Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Securing cargo to my roof rack

Hey there guys, been a while since I've posted. I guess that's a good thing because it means I haven't had any problems. :D

My question is regarding my roof rack. Come christmas time, the wife and I will be going to upstate NY for about a week. We will be bringing our two dogs with us. Their crates will be coming along also. They are the kind that can fold down flat to be stored or whatever. My question is how would I go about tying these down to my roof rack? The car is a 99OBW, and does have the factory cross bars on it. I have to tool to take those off is anyone thinks that would be safter to do that.

So how do you guys go about tying things down like this so they don't shift around? We pretty much have to put them on the top since the rest of the car will be full of dogs, presents, and luggage. Thanks a bunch :)

Jonathan

I have a set of the nylon ratcheting straps that I got at the Depot or Lowes that I use for a variety of things I've had on the racks.

I've had doors, a 40 ft extention ladder, a futon bed frame, plywood and drywall, etc. As long as it has solid contact to the rails and/or crossbars you should be OK, If possible I weave the straps into the cargo so that the tension pulls down on the load and it won't slide side to side. For safety I use an extra strap and go front to back as well, in case of hard braking.

Just stop and check you load after you drive a few miles to make sure everything is staying put. Grab the load and shake, if the whole car rocks and moves as one solid mass, you should be secure.

Yeah, I've used bungee cords to, they do OK for short runs or lighter weight stuff, but to me they have to be pulled too tight to get rid of the elastic play. If I got for a road trip over 20 miles I'd like the knowlege that the load is secure enough to do 60+ mph for an extended period. I get really paraniod because I once saw a kitchen table fly off a car while it was passing a tractor-trailer on the PA Turnpike, that sucker flipped up and soared like a frizbee! Hit the road about 20 yards down and skidded across the right lane and shoulder another 30 yards. Once the air gets lift on flatter stuff it can create a lot of pull.

Yeah, I've used bungee cords to, they do OK for short runs or lighter weight stuff, but to me they have to be pulled too tight to get rid of the elastic play. If I got for a road trip over 20 miles I'd like the knowlege that the load is secure enough to do 60+ mph for an extended period. I get really paraniod because I once saw a kitchen table fly off a car while it was passing a tractor-trailer on the PA Turnpike, that sucker flipped up and soared like a frizbee! Hit the road about 20 yards down and skidded across the right lane and shoulder another 30 yards. Once the air gets lift on flatter stuff it can create a lot of pull.

good old fashioned rope then. No matter how you tie down your cargo, it needs to be checked at regular intervals, espeicaly if its windy outside.

heheh i still remeber one faimily vacation where dad didnt tie the bags down right to the roof rack of the rambler. Lets just say samsonite luggage lived up to its commercials

nipper