Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am in the process of installing the timing belt on my new 2.5l motor, I've followed the recommended procedure in terms of lining up the marks etc. The concern I have is that there is that the belt doesn't seem to be all that tight on the right side, i.e. there is more slack than I would expect. Is this normal or am I missing something (other than my mind which I lost some time ago:) ).

double check everything is installed properly, tensioner is working properly and that the belt is the same length as the one your removed. did you replace any pulleys? make sure they are the same size as well.

there is a tooth count method for verify the belt is dead on installed right, this is a good check. do a search here on timing belts to find more info, i did earlier this summer and found everything i needed.

I have yet to let the tensioner adjuster loose yet in case something is wrong and the pulleys have to come off. I'll recheck te belt against the old one and do the tooth count method next. Thanks.

That's why part of the belt is loose. Like others said, do the tooth count and if correct let the tensionner loose and all will be right. It might be a good idea to count again after the tensionner has been let loose. No part of the belt shoulb be too loose though, cause the belt might jump a tooth or two when you let the tensionner go.