Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange power...........?

Ok maybe this is a dumb question but i have to make sure this is normal because my subaru is the onyl car i have that does this....the higher the RPM's the brighter my lights get..... Strange or normal? just wondering... also it seems like over the last few months my head lights have got super dim! i have changed the bulbs and all and they are still super dim! any ideas? oh and anyone got a left (passanger) side head light for a 92 Loyale layin around for cheap?

The regulator may be having a problem in the alternator. I would have this checked as soon as you can to prevent further damage if this is the case. If you have a voltmeter or can barrow one then check the voltage at the battery while reving the engine. The voltage shouldn't go beyond 15 volts. If it does, then you need to replace the alternator.

The regulator may be having a problem in the alternator. I would have this checked as soon as you can to prevent further damage if this is the case. If you have a voltmeter or can barrow one then check the voltage at the battery while reving the engine. The voltage shouldn't go beyond 15 volts. If it does, then you need to replace the alternator.

Its been doin this for about 4 years.... should i still test it and all?

I have an alternator from an 87 GL that I'd be willing to sell. As for price, whatever it takes. Feel free to send a PM if you want it. I live on base so if you don't work on base I can sign you on. The guy who sold it to me said he put a new one on before it cracked the head and that was right before I bought it. Anyway, let me know.