Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.5..can you put a turbo on these?

I'd guess that the biggest worry with turboing a phase one 2.5 is that you'll be blowing a head gasket in no time, if you do turbo it you might want to swap in some turbo pistons, and the new EJ257 head gaskets. I'd even go so far as to say you should either switch to the SOHC heads, or possibly the 2.0 turbo heads.

If you're gonna turbo, you might as well do it right.

I personally would recommend the EJ20TT motor. 2.0 liter twin turbo 250+hp. You can get them from sellers on ebay, or any auto importer should be able to hook you up. Make sure you get the motor, wiring harness, and ECU. If you currently have a manual transmission, any JDM engine will work as long as you have the JDM ECU from a manual donor. If you currently have an automatic, I would suggest getting a JDM auto trans as well, so the ECU doesn't freak out. Here's a link to the motor. Lot's cheaper than a turbo kit, and easier to SAFELY install. There are too many things to change out/replace when adding a turbo to a n/a motor.

The drivers side turbo won't fit without some major re-engineering, it hits the master cylinder for the brake system. most people that have used the TT engine have swapped on a single turbo system.

I thought the turbo hit the steering rod. Either way the turbo relocating doesn't sound too bad. If I did it, I would end up with custom intercooler piping and a custom exhaust anyway as part of the swap. You could move the turbo just about anywhere.

You could swap a 2.5T from a new Forester of Legacy in there too. It would be pricier, but lower milage and parts would easily be available. I know the new turbo Legacy puts out 250hp so thats a good start. Havn't heard if this is a straight swap or not though.