Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sub Legacy Auto trans swap

Hello Sube board!! I have a 1991 Sube Legacy sedan 2 whl drive. I recently had the head gaskets re-done after blowing one for no reason that I know of !! Anyway .. I had both heads done ( $1600 ..OUCH!) but I bought it cheap so I'm still upside right on it. I really do like this car but it's only a 2 whl drive. I found a 1991 Sube AWD with a blown trans and wanted to know how bad(expnsive it is to swap my good 2 whl drive tranny into the AWD car with the bad tranny.I'm assuming the gearing is all the same and the ECU is unchanged.

I can get a 1991 AWD with the blown tranny for under $400 but it's in nice shape.The other thing I could do is get it and do the rebuild on the tranny.The Sube with the blown tranny has a new engine but has been sitting for 8 months.I could also try to get a tranny from a wrecker and use that.

I'm open to suggestions.I'm fairly new to Subes but am so far impressed ..not withstanding the blown head gasket..kaka happens.

T I A

Both cars are automatics. That should make for an easier swap.The previous reply suggested I swap the rear running gear and add on the extension housing to my good tranny in the non AWD car.

I think my real concern is that the non AWD tranny can be used with AWD assuming I can transfer the extension housing from the non working AWD tranny.

Are these cars AT or MT? Are you planning to stay with the same type of tranny?