Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Legacy Wagon Leaking through tailgate lights

First post on the board - so hi to all.

Problem with leak - done search on previous posts but cant find what I am looking for. Hope someone can help.

I have a Legacy (estate we call them in UK, I think in US its a wagon) 2001. When it rains I get the rear light clusters filling with water, when you open and raise the rear gate the water runs out of the inside access covers for the lights. I have tried to remove the light cluster assembly from the outside cause it looks as if there is a rubber gasket and I assume that is where the leak is. However despite removing 4 nuts that I think hold it on I just cant get it to come off. I assume there are other screws, nuts holding it in place, but i cant see them.

Can anyone help. Is this a common problem with these cars? Whats the solution?

Aberdeen! I visited your fair city a few years ago :-)

Anyway, although I am not certain about the estate, the sedan has only the four bolts holding the light cluster. However, the gasket isn't rubber, it's some kind of sealant. That means the light needs to pulled out with a bit of force. Try applying some heat with a hair drier to soften the sealant. And of course, double check for an extra nut/bolt.

You'll need to clean the old sealant off and apply some new stuff.

The grommet that seals the hole in the panel for wiring might also be worth checking for cracks.

allanmcc,

After the nuts are taken off, you are left with a sealant, similar to what the windshield is mounted with. You can try to heat it up and wiggle the light assembly out, or use the same method for taking out the windshield. Push a thin guitar string through the sealant from inside the car to the outside. At that point tie and wrap several turns of the guitar string around say a 10mm wrench at both ends. Now, using a partner on the outside of the car, and you inside, hold the wrenches and saw back and forth through the sealant all of the way around the tail light assembly, being careful to not scratch the body paint or break off part of the lens or burn through it (the wire will get hot). Clean off the old sealant on the light and the body of the car, reapply new sealant and reinstall it. Good luck!