Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question on Power Steering Pump

Is the power steering pump physically located near where a mechanic would have been working on repair iof the head gasket (leaking antifreeze)?

I also mentioned an issue relating to a high pitched whistle the car made when the RPM's are up over 4K (usually when passing someone or going uphill in the mountains). Noticed on the receipt that the mechanic noted the sound was my power steering pump and it needed replacing. Didn;t give it too much thought until I began driving home and noticed this horrible sound (grinding sound) when I turned the steering wheel sharp...needless to say, I am positive that the steering was not making that noise when I took it in...

dont understand your question .. if you dont know where it is, you really need to open your hood more often and learn how to check your own fluid levels.

Hydraulic pumps start chewing themselves up real fats once they start going.

Have you ever checked your fluid levels? if you let the pump run low or dry .. the pump will self destruct.

nipper

Grab the belt, and you should be able to move it back and forth (i think ) 1/4 inch (1/2 inch total) for the powersteering belt, and almost 1/2 inch (1 inch total) for the A/C belt (per my owners manual).

I would check the ac belt too, odds are if one is too tight, other ay be too.

nipper