Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help! 91 Legacy trans problem!

My 1991 Legacy has been sitting around for about year or so with a broken timing belt. Last week we installed a new timing belt and the motor runs fine.

Now I have a new problem with the trans, it feels like as soon as the car rolls to 2 to 3 miles an hour, it shift to 2nd gear then it stays there. I will be doing 60 mph at 3500 rpm. I drove about 100 miles this way. It's still the same. Also as I slow down from 60 mph the rpm goes up and down like a stick shift when you let go the clutch in gear. It loads the motor severnal times while the car slows down. Is there a fuse? a solenoid? Vacuum line? I don't know where to start. Please help.

T.I.A

Prasad

no much simpler gummed up tranny. it needs a fluid flush first, sounds like the govenor is stuck. Did it work OK before the car got parked?

What color is the tranny fluid. i dont know if you have a vacum modulator or not, look and see if you see a broken vacume line around the tranny

nipper

Should be the 4EAT... no vac-mod or 3AT-style governor.

I would vote for internal gumminess. Certainly worth changing the fluid and running it for a while to see if the problem clears up. Some would probably also recommend using Seafoam transmission conditioner. (I haven't had enough experience with it to recommend.)

Yes,the car ran fine before it was parked, it was little low on fluid due to taking out the radiator. I will change the fuild and see what happens. The car has 188K miles on it and I abuse the hell out of it. I used it to pull and push cars in my barn. I know I was asking for trouble.

Thanks again

Prasad