Ultimate Subaru Message Board

baja heated seats, mirrors, and cap

baja128,

Last week I pulled the heated and power seats out of a wrecked van and installed them in a base van without any power accessories of the same model. I also swapped the entire interior door units for a power window setup on the base model, which originally had crank up windows. Everything was a direct swap from the loaded van to the base van. I even got the interior door panels (Same colour) to eliminate the crank window hole in the panel. Most manufacturers put a full wiring harness and fuses for all options into every car, and then only install those electrical options that the base model gets, and so on. The key is to see if your baja is the same way. Pull the interior kick panel and find the main wiring harness connector that goes to the door. You want the harness that enters the car body from the door. (The one that goes through the corrigated rubber boot at the door hinge area.) Find that connector and check to see if the car side of the connector is completely filled with wires, and if the door side has fewer wires. If so you can install the power mirrors, and should only need the mirrors and the switch. Check the fuse panel to see if the power mirror fuse is there. If this is a go, you'll probably find all of the connectors for the power seats, the side airbags, and the heating elements under the seats, ready for a direct plug in. Again, you'll probably only need the switch. This all assumes that you'll be using seats and mirrors from another Subaru, which would be a direct bolt on, and all of the connectors will be the same. A baja is a Legacy/Outback, sedan/wagon, so you'll only need to find one with the same interior colour from the same range of years for that body style, if you want to swap seats. You might even get lucky on the mirrors being the same colour, or a simple repaint. You've got some work ahead of you, but its not rocket science if you take your time. Good Luck!

• 9 months later...

I'm in the process of putting heated seats from an Outback into my Baja..I'll update as I get closer to installation (swapping the covers, too)

baja128,

Last week I pulled the heated and power seats out of a wrecked van and installed them in a base van without any power accessories of the same model. I also swapped the entire interior door units for a power window setup on the base model, which originally had crank up windows. Everything was a direct swap from the loaded van to the base van. I even got the interior door panels (Same colour) to eliminate the crank window hole in the panel. Most manufacturers put a full wiring harness and fuses for all options into every car, and then only install those electrical options that the base model gets, and so on. The key is to see if your baja is the same way. Pull the interior kick panel and find the main wiring harness connector that goes to the door. You want the harness that enters the car body from the door. (The one that goes through the corrigated rubber boot at the door hinge area.) Find that connector and check to see if the car side of the connector is completely filled with wires, and if the door side has fewer wires. If so you can install the power mirrors, and should only need the mirrors and the switch. Check the fuse panel to see if the power mirror fuse is there. If this is a go, you'll probably find all of the connectors for the power seats, the side airbags, and the heating elements under the seats, ready for a direct plug in. Again, you'll probably only need the switch. This all assumes that you'll be using seats and mirrors from another Subaru, which would be a direct bolt on, and all of the connectors will be the same. A baja is a Legacy/Outback, sedan/wagon, so you'll only need to find one with the same interior colour from the same range of years for that body style, if you want to swap seats. You might even get lucky on the mirrors being the same colour, or a simple repaint. You've got some work ahead of you, but its not rocket science if you take your time. Good Luck!

• 3 months later...