Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken ignition switch

So, yesterday I go out to start my car, switch it to the ON position, and nothing happens. Then, I wiggle the key and realize, omg, this is broken! I then try 3 other spare keys, the same story with all of them - no resistance at all from the lock, and nothing happens. I try a Nissan key from another vehicle and it won't turn. So, I'm guessing it's something with the switch itself.

So, seeing that the car managed to get into ON before the switch broke, I push-started it to drive it somewhere to get fixed. What's funny is that after I push started the car, there was no way to shut it off.. I took out the key and the engine kept running! So, I stalled it.

I call the mechanic my dad uses, and he tells me he's out of town and suggests a locksmith. So, locksmith is coming on Monday... !@#@!@

Anyone ever had this happen? I can't help but wonder if my STi key broke the ignition switch...

Considering it was a housecall, it was likely a fair price.....but I think you might have gotten hosed. It depends on what he actually did. Switch was likely okay, but he probably had to pull and repair the lock cylinder to fix it. If he was there less than an hour I wouldn't be happy with the cost. Not an uncommon problem with the older Subarus. I had both my Brats done before the the ignition failed and I paid about $120 each to have the lock cylinder replaced and keys cut (no house call).